1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 3125 inverter issue

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Zion970, May 4, 2018.

1. Zion970

Zion970 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello, I have a 2003 Toyota Prius and starting to see the death triangle and getting a error code of 3125. I looked up the code explaining inverter issues. Toyota dealer not helpful and very rude! Need help with next step! Car has 226,000 miles! Thanks.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The most common cause is a failed, invert pump. If you'll check under the Prius Gen-2 forum, there is one for the Gen-1 and plenty of threads and help there.

Bob Wilson

3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The pump is a wear item, doesn't cost much to do it yourself. My 02 is on it's second inverter coolant pump. Inverters are expensive, thanks to Toyota engineering the ecu shuts the car down if the temp gets too high. You can easily source one from Ama zon.

4. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had to change one first off on my ‘03. Think $130 from Amazon. If careful, very little fluid loss. Check flow and feel for motor running. Had to lower left side bumper. I removed inner fender lining to aid install. Takes time but not difficult. Previous post on this will give you more detail. Good Luck.

5. amitt

amitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi ,

I just had my inverter temp code on, it was a hot day.
    I checked the coolant tank, it had no flow, I let it cool for 20 minutes, turned on the ignition to "on" ( not ready), I squeezzed the hoses around the pump, and it started working again.

You may want to try this before replacing it, it's the second time it happens to me, the other one was last year, and it was also a hot day, and I never got the code back for a year after squeezing it last time.

Could it be that they stop working on a hot day?

I replaced the pump myself 55k ago, it may be just air in the system that is sucked through a crack when the engine cools down on a hot day?

Kind of makes me wonder if my first pump was not all that bad, I just went straight to replacing it without giggling the hoses or anything...
    Worth a try...

Good luck.
    Amitt

6. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The pump is mounted on the frame behind the driver's side headlight, in the engine compartment. if you place your hand on the pump, you should feel it running if the key is ON. If no indication (slight vibration), pump is out or bad power feed. If pump is running, it is probably an air lock (massage the hoses to and from the pump) and check for flow. If fluid is too high in reservoir, it may be harder to detect flow. If pump runs and massaging hose fails, possible blockage exist. I would also try to bleed system although that can be problematic. Its a closed system so if all is working it should clear itself up. Check my previous post. Will watch to see if I can be of any further help. Good Luck.

7. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Message to Amitt: Make sure you have air getting to Inverter Cooling Heat Exchanger. Most passes through the upper large grill opening. It is separate cooler from ICE radiator. Also ensure fins are clean and undamaged. All of my grill opening are blocked except that one and last check on 88* day, no issues. If you need temps I can pass them along. Hope this helps. Peace.