1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

325K Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by oasmith, Oct 20, 2020.

1. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All,

Just rolled over the 325,000 mile mark on my 2014. In the past I've cleaned the EGR cooler and valve, cleaned the Intake Manifold, replaced spark plugs, replaced the PCV valve, and had to use at least two bottles of the K-Seal for a probable head gasket leak. It's been hobbling along. I'll be doing another full EGR/IM cleaning soon due to shaking and knocking, and i'll also replace the PCV valve again. If it still knocks, i'll put another bottle of K-Seal in. I haven't done the OCC because i always assume the car is about to die, and don't want to put in the work. But maybe i should do this as well. I was also going to replace the water pump for the first time, hoping to increase coolant flow to an old engine. What about replacing the EGR cooler itself? It's been getting harder to get brake parts cleaner to actually run through the whole unit when i clean it. When i can blow air through it, I pretty much stop there, mainly because at that point in the day i've been blasting it with parts cleaner for a few hours.

Any other suggestions for parts to replace after 325k? Thanks for the help over the years, you guys have helped me get it this far!

jerrydelrey likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't even have one suggestion, nevermind 325,000!:eek:

all the best!(y)

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use a pressure washer to clear out the EGR Cooler. Then use oven cleaner to
    clean it. Fill it up, and let it sit for 20-30 minutes, pressure wash again.
    2 or 3 times should clean it out.
    Do not use the oven cleaner on the egr valve. It may eat the aluminum.... But it's safe
    for the stainless steel.
    And wear gloves!

4. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks i'll try that. I've never replaced the igniter coils either, but not had any issues with them, as far as I can tell. Should I just replace them anyway?

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No reason to replace them unless you know they are bad.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Leak down test for the head gasket, likely needs replacement. 50/50 water/vinegar will hopefully clear out the stop-leak.

7. oasmith

oasmith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, a follow-up, 2 months later. I replaced the PCV, and the EGR valve, but I don't know how I'd notice a change. I also replaced the coolant pump, though after removing the old one and feeling how it spins, it was probably still fine. During this process, I also drained the coolant, which came out rusty looking. I used the oven cleaner on the EGR cooler, and that did work. It just takes a long time, multiple treatments. I didn't get it totally cleaned out, but I could blow through it easily, and there were a couple places I could see light through it. If had the time and patience, I could have given it about ten more treatments and gotten it fully cleaned out. Slow, but probably a better result than blasting can after can of parts cleaner in there. I also finally installed the OCC, placing it below the level of the PCV so that the oil would always drain down with gravity. So after all that, I was still getting some shaking, though recently it's settled down. It's been 5k miles since I did the work. I've had to add coolant a couple times, and add in a quart of oil. So, status quo there. Today I checked the OCC, and the results of that I'll make in a new post. Overall, it's still alive, and runs fine after those first few seconds of starting up the engine.

Attached Files:

orenji and ASRDogman like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if Oxi-Clean soaks are better? Not as aggressive, maybe slower, but it really likes to chew away at carbon. Mine came out shiny new after about 5 one hour soaks.

Only 70k kms tho. :oops: