1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

34 mpg?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Etel Rose, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Etel Rose

Etel Rose New Member

My car has something over 2000 miles on it now. Every tank so far has averaged between about 48.5-51 mpg, with some mix of city/highway driving. Since the last fill-up, about 100 miles ago, I have only driven city, mostly shorter trips (between 5 and 30 minutes). I have averaged about 34 mpg in this time (steadily getting about this much). I'm a very careful driver - fairly slow, no fast starts or stops...what happened? Should I take it in to get checked out? This seems really really low... My friend with a Prius thinks this is abnormally low and something must be wrong with the car... I got the tires inflated about a month ago (I don't see how they could be so low by now to cause this).

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Etel Rose @ Nov 1 2006, 06:16 AM) [snapback]341788[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds normal. I have 30K miles and average 50 MPG. This current tank has been used only for very short trips (10 minutes and under) and it is cold outside. My MFD says 28! I fully expect it to return to normal when I begin taking longer trips as usual. Temperature seems to take a 5MPG hit on average, but short trips are the killer.

3. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think you have answered you own question in your statement; your driving habits have changed, "I have only driven city, mostly shorter trips . . " which are known mileage killers. Take you car out on a quick freeway style trip after the car has warmed up. In ten minutes you will see two segments in your normal 48-51.1 mpg numbers that you are used to seeing. It doesn't hurt to check your tires every so often as a change in outside air temp will cause the tires to rise or fall with the temp.

Thanks,

Chris

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, your tire pressure has probably dropped a bit, so check that. also, up there they may have switched to winter gas which gets you slightly lower mpg.

that said, short trips are probably the single biggest reason for lower mpg. cold temps don't help either. when you're back to your regular driving schedule you'll likely see the numbers go back up.

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Etel Rose @ Nov 1 2006, 08:16 PM) [snapback]341788[/snapback]</div>
    Please refer to your consumption screen when you finished the short trip.
    You'll see something like picture below. It's from Japanese Prius shown as km/L.

10 km/L ~= 25 MPG
    20 km/L ~= 50 MPG
    30 km/L ~= 75 MPG
    40 km/L ~= 100 MPG

If you finish the trip in 5 minutes, you'll see 25 MPG.
    If you finish the trip in 10 minutes, you'll see about average 31 MPG.
    I think you already know it is casued by warming up fuel use.

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

6. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Short trips are mileage killers. I got 30 mpg on my first tank, then followed suggestions here and have been getting 42 mpg.

The current tank was near 48 mpg more than half way through, but is now down to 44 mpg, since the last few days were short trips...with power on and off.

I maximize by planning my trips when I can. If I have 10 errands to run, I go first to the one that is farthest away, giving the ICE a chance to warm up...then, I make the other stops on the way home...

I also have loads of up and down-hill runs...I know to take certain routes now, that are not out of the way, but that minimize the hill situation and the lights with stop and go.

This seems like a big drop though!!

Keep us posted.

terri