1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

36,000 Mile Report

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by frodoz737, Sep 23, 2012.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am happy to report being very a satisfied owner. My MPG is still within sticker and it has been very reliable.

Having multiple vehicles, I will report two design irritations inherent to this vehicle I still do not like. The brakes and handling. The brakes still bother me with their release/acceleration on rough terrain when coming to a stop. The straight line freeway stability still sucks. I know why these are, and accept these trade offs for the purpose of MPG, the reason "most" of buy a Prius. I continue to maintain the vehicle on a "severer duty cycle" and feel comfortable knowing it will likely last beyond 300k miles, with required repairs and time changes, before becoming a money pit.

I will continue to watch the market for the next real, practical and affordable improvement in vehicles as a future replacement of the Wife's do-all, has-all SUV.

PS - Other than the cheap flimsy interior of our '06 Beelte TDI, this car has also been a remarkably efficient and reliable vehicle.

2. JBoat

JBoat New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's interesting you mention freeway stability. I have the same year/package that you do, and haven't noticed any problems with stability/sway/etc on the highway. The only thing I notice is a bit of road noise, but I expected that when I raised tire pressure up to 42/40.

The prius in studies over ten years, didn't appreciably drop much MPG efficiency at all.

When I notice the brakes switch from regen to disc mode because of a rough patch, I release them gently and re-engage (if I have enough room to). I find that re-enables the electric mode and power regen.

Good to hear the rest, the Prius is a highly reliable vehicle.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it is a highly reliable vehicle, so far, and I have no regrets. They are still twitchy on the freeway with 15"s (even with the >psi) and have the annoying brake change over as stated. The is no such thing as the perfect car. It's like your partner in life, you just get used to them, or trade them in at a loss, and hope the next one is better. ;)

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Fro, I just rolled over 36K myself. All is well here.

One thing that is get me a bit perplexed is a harmonic hum that starts about 50mph and increases in oscillation until it is unnoticeable around 65mph. I noticed it this spring. My first guess is the tires (wear). The second is wheel bearings. You notice anything like that?

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey spiderman. Long time no talk. I hope all is well with you and yours.

Yes I did, tire wear and balance. You would know if it was alignment. If the tires are worn evenly, take the wheels off, scrub them thoroughly, then have them balanced. You will be fine.

Your timing is funny. A month ago I picked up a nail to close to the sidewall on my rear drivers. Threw on a barely used tire until ready to buy the set. Wife drove my car to Walmart today and called to let me know the front drivers went flat. She can change a tire, but since it is so close, I came and took care of it so she didn't get dirty while shopping. Picked up a screw this time, also to close to the sidewall. I do not change tires in pairs and the other two are close enough, so new tires tomorrow, or by Wednesday at the latest if I have to wait for the Energy Saver A/Ss. I go back to work that night.

By the way, for the "no maintenance required" members out there, at 5,000 miles when you have your wheels rotated, get them balanced and your alignment checked. Or not, it's your business.

Respectfully, PIP owners take heed. I heard some pretty big numbers after using the factory slime.

spiderman likes this.
  6. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The stability issues can be mitigated with bolt-on stiffeners on the bottom of the body/chassis. Search the Gen III mods forum for threads discussing this. Tanabe and Cusco make the braces.

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am at 93,000 miles on my 2010. Zero repiars, Zero issues. There are many other here with over 100,000 miles.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No issues, just quirks. Like stated, has been a great car with no regrets.

On a side note, it is impossible to get Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15's in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Tire Rack looks like my only option, so I may just try something else. Going to F8L's tread now.