1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

38.8, that about sums up the Fusion

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by acdii, Dec 27, 2012.

1. acdii

acdii Active Member

First, the fill numbers are all over the place, I dont know how I get 45 on one tank, and 25 on another, but that is how they added up.

Today, temps range from 25 to 30 F, and both ways to and from work, it got 38. Now I don't know about you guys, but considering I can get within 1 MPG with my 2010 FFH, does this number seem a bit low?

Reason I ask is am I being too anal about the FE of this car, or am I right in that in theory, because the car is rated at 47, shouldn't it realistically be at least 3-4 MPG higher than the older Fusion? I have been thinking the car should be roughly 41-43 MPG range at this time of year, which puts it roughly 4-6 MPG below the sticker MPG, which if math is right, is about the same percentage as the older Fusion. It has combined of 39 and I get 36-38 in the cold.

My last tank was 34.1 MPG, which is about 6/10th below the dash readout of 34.7.

When I had the Camry I would be within 1-2 MPG in the winter in that one too, I dont remember the Prius too well, but since lifetime was 53, I believe that one also was within a few miles of 50 too. Since it was a 2007, it was rated 50/60, and it pretty much got that.

To me getting 34 to 38 in this car just seems way too low.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I personally know of nobody with a Ford Fusion (hyrbid or not) that gets even close to the rated mileage. There is 1 person on the fuelly website which is around 45mpg I think but that is with extreme hypermilling. However, I have no idea who that person is first hand.

From the people I personally know, you are getting higher than they are.

3. acdii

acdii Active Member

I dont know if I should feel good about that or be even more bummed out!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're getting about 40 in our 08 hycam on the current tank. weather has been mid 30's to low 40's. i would be very unhappy if we bought a new hycam and there wasn't a significant mpg improvement. 10% at least.

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]

That is the fuelly average right now for only the hybrid 2013's. Not a single person, even with hypermilling has been able to get the advertised 47mpg city/highway out of the vehicle.

That is one of the big differences between Toyota and Ford. Ford does EPA tests really really well. Toyota does those ok, but performs in real life way better. So you could get 47mpg out of the Fusion under ideal conditions with an expert driving, maybe. Everyone can get 50mpg out of the Prius without trying, or with ideal conditions and an expert upwards of 70mpg or higher.

On average, the Fusion is 19.8% below EPA ratings for all of its tracking customers. That would be like if the Prius really only averaged 40mpg instead of its 50mpg rating. People would riot. Currently fuelly says the 2013 Prii are at 50.8mpg, so bang on where Toyota said it would be.

acdii likes this.
  6. acdii

acdii Active Member

Agreed, BTW, that blue on in the middle is mine. Not a picture of what mine looks like, but is the actual car. :)

7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is a nice looking car. I would never trade in my Toyota for one, but to get an Aston Martin lookalike for that kind of money is pretty sweet. Any hybrid on the road that performs well is a good thing. Lets just hope that either the EPA revises those figures to accurately represent what the car gets and slaps Ford with the "Wth stick" or your car and all others have a defect that Ford will voluntarily replace to make it get within a few percent of the EPA estimates...

acdii likes this.
  8. acdii

acdii Active Member

Me too. If I can get in the EPA range in my 2010, with just slapping it around with low tires, and meet or exceed the high end EPA in it with properly inflated tires and careful attention to my driving, well, I was thinking, Wth am I doing wrong in this new car, and Ford pretty much told me they dont care what I get or got in my previous Hybrids, the car told them it is getting the correct MPG.

9. rkk

rkk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is from today's media announcement from Ford about the Fusion Energy.

“The Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid is the exclamation point for Ford’s transformed lineup of fuel-efficiency leaders that now beats Toyota across the board,” said Raj Nair, group vice president, Global Product Development.

There aren't nearly enough of either model for this to be valid, especially the C-MAX energi but just for fun of the 3 energi's reporting on Fuelly the average is 50.1, the average for the 95 Prius plugins is 77.2.

I wouldn't expect much help from Ford. They have their story and they are sticking with it.

10. acdii

acdii Active Member

I think Ford hired a bunch of dreamers, cause if they truly believe that crap, they are either high, or drunk.

11. acdii

acdii Active Member

12. acdii

acdii Active Member

OOH GOODY, more troubles. I now have a solid CEL on. Wonder what the heck its all about now. Wont know until later this week as the dealer was closed yesterday.

13. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what to think.. obviously the 47 number is an abberation, but some (few) people are getting 40-45 mpg, while most are averaging 35-39. Very discouraging, but I'm still looking forward to getting mine soon. When I do, you can bet I'll give my results...

14. acdii

acdii Active Member

I stopped at my dealer again today and talked to my salesman, and while I was there, the other hybrid owner happened to be there too and his car is getting expected MPG.

There may be some correlation between my car and another owner who is also having the same issue with poor fuel economy, he just doesn't have enough miles on it yet for the plug fouling to cause a CEL. His car was built 2 days before mine. If I can located others having the same issue and find out their build dates, if they are during the same time frame, then there is something to go on.

In the meantime on Monday The Dealer owner and my salesman, along with the Service manager will discuss it during their morning meeting. They are puzzled as to why Ford isn't pursuing the plug fouling and low MPG correlation. they will also look into finding me another one to use for a week just to compare and see if it is the car, or just my driving, mainly because it doesn't make sense that I can get rated MPG in my 2010, but cant get above 35 in the new one.

That and over the last 3 years spent over $100,000 on Ford vehicles. For that I deserve the respect of looking into the issue!

15. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AGREE!!!

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    50k miles to date of 2013 Fusion hybrid mpgs on fuelly.com .....

37 MPG average. ... bout time Ford is cracked down upon

2012 Camrys over 460k miles showing 38.8 mpg. LE and XLE are 41 and 40 EPA respectively. That's inline, Ford is not.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With the spark plug fouling, Ford needs to take a serious look at what could be going wrong, and not just brush reports of low mpg.

Using the low reports on Fuelly alone isn't enough justification to call the Fusion not inline at this time. The Camry numbers of the benefit of summer driving. The Fusion came out during the start of cold weather and winter blend gas.

18. acdii

acdii Active Member

Switching from pessimism to optimism since I got the car back with new plugs. I filled last night, and got 38.9 MPG. While not stellar, it is still much higher than it has been. This morning I drove more like I normally drive, and got 41 MPG. I did catch a lot of green lights so didn't need to accelerate much, but when I did, I did it with more giddy up. It was in the 20*'s too.

Maybe there was a bad batch of spark plugs, wont know for a few thousand miles of driving though, it took 4500 before I got the first CEL.

lennyp likes this.
  19. lennyp

lennyp New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfouled plugs for the win. In 20 degree weather that seems to be expected mpg. This morning it was 40 here and my instant trip read 46.5mpg (only 850 on odometer), so still very pleased. I have to say at times it sounds like the ICE is struggling, but the mpg doesn't reflect it.

I hope Ford looks into this issue or at least your plugs stay good.

acdii likes this.
  20. acdii

acdii Active Member

That's what I am hoping for. I am still pissed at how Ford is treating this though, so not going to drop that aspect of it. Picking up a Scangaugeii today(hopefully, if in stock) and will run through some things, then compare the 2010 readings and drive it a few days similar to how I drove this one and see how it goes. My wife drives that car now, and the past 2 days she has been getting over 40MPG in it. Sometimes she does better than me, others far worse, but then again, she doesn't try either, just drives, which is why I like the 2010 so much, it is such a good running car.

Since 2007 when I bought my first new car in decades, it was the 07 Prius, and got such a sweet deal on it, the one time they had offered 0% financing on it. Problem was, we just didn't like it, and when you spend 2 hours a day in a car, liking it is 75% of the deal. I made money trading that car in, got an 08 Veracruz, and an 09 HyCam. We all liked the Veracruz, 0 complaints, but it was FWD, and one trip in slushy snowy conditions and almost losing it, where we live, it had to go. The Camry was 100% reliable, but it just wasn't my kind of car, sloppy handling, poor fit and finish and material quality just didnt seem right for this kind of car, and the rep it has. The Veracruz was replaced with a Ford Flex Ecoboost, and that was an awesome vehicle, the Camry a 2010 Fusion Sport, and that was the best car so far, we enjoyed it, but when gas got over $3.40 a gallon, it had to go, and was replaced with the 2010 FFH, and we cut our gas bills in half and it has been 100% reliable. The Flex had some quirks that I didnt want to deal with after the warranty ran out, and I had the old F350 that just sat, so decided to replace both with an F150 Ecoboost. That was a really good truck too. It became apparent that the F150 had become an expensive plane hauler, since I never use it for hauling my horse trailer, except the one time I pulled it out of the barn to inspect it, and drove it a couple miles, then put it back. We have a 95 Grand Marquis that can easily pull that if needed, so got a great trade in offer on the truck for the new Fusion.

Out of all those vehicles, the only one we decided we really want to keep is the 2010 FFH, its the only one I have an extended warranty on for 100K miles. I am so hoping the new Fusion has been repaired and is a keeper too. It has taken me 6 years to find a car I am comfortable with and really like that is affordable to drive, and want to hang onto it as long as possible, so Ford had better step up and make damn sure this is resolved. The 2013 handles as well as the Sport did, which is what I really liked about it, and is more comfortable, which is even better. It looks better too.

I have been lucky with all those cars, not a single one rolled over into the new car payments, I was able to get better than payoff in trade on them all, especially the Prius and F150 and Veracruz.