1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

380,000 mile Prius has mis and shakes/ Help keep her going!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jerry LaBant, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Jerry LaBant

Jerry LaBant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2007 now has 380,000 mile on her, but she's just started to give me random misses over the past few days, but has now gotten to the point that she will not move. Ran the codes and here's what I can up with: PO011 Camshaft position, PO0300 random misfire detected, PO301, 303 & 304 (misfire on cylinders 1,3 & 4), PO354 Ignition coil "D" Primary/Secondary circuit and PO423, catalyst system below efficiency. I've been dogged with this problem for some 35,000 miles/ does seem to affect the mileage ( holding at 48.5 mpg rolling average for 6 months). Help! give me some suggestions, I've checked the plugs, all have a nice grey residue on the tips, coil packs have been changes within the past 6 months and all have no visual signs of failure, EGR valve has been checked and is good, cleaned the EGR hose going into the carb. Please give this old hack mechanic some suggestions .

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. Jerry LaBant

Jerry LaBant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for chiming in! The one thing I can rule out is the oil. I religiously change my oil with full synthetic oil every 4000 miles, I really attribute the longevity of my motor to this regular maintenance. I'll start looking at your other suggestions.
    Best regards,
    Jerry

4. tutti57

tutti57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can pull the vvt solonoid out and test it by putting 12v to it. You will see movement if it's working. I would take it off the car for this test.

Moto G Play ?

5. tutti57

tutti57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have a scan tool that shows live data, take a look at what your long and short term fuel trims are reading at idle. As close to zero as possible is ideal.

Moto G Play ?

6. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are not a lot of causes of misfires:
    1. Ignition timing not right
    2. Bad fuel delivery (too much, too little, or bad stream from injectors)
    3. Intake or exhaust valves not opening/closing at correct times

As each cylinder has it's own ignition coil and spark plug, and fuel injector, this eliminates numbers 1 and 2 as being likely, as I find it unlikely that these components would fail on 3 cylinders simultaneously. With what TMR wrote, I think it could well be a VVT problem. Other thoughts are the Exhaust gas re-circulation valve/system or the ECU that controls ignition timing.

#6 Kevin_Denver, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You left one thing that could really must have being the cause of the misfires. Injectors

Have you checked the injectors on the cylinders with reported problems?

If they are clogged with carbon, no matter what you do, the misfires won't go away.

If they checked out fine, do a voltage test on the injector wiring harness connectors to see if they've got power feeding them(I think its 12volt or so), and also do a ground test.

Finally, if the power/ground tests are OK, check for a dedicated 5volt signal wire. If this doesn't have the referenced signal voltage, the ECU gets confused.

If the tests are OK, some of those injectors must have failed already.

A last resort might be the ECU, because it has a dedicated driver that drives the injector pulse of the injectors.

Also check for short circuits along the injector wire harness to the ECU.

Dxta

8. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah missed this one. I updated my post to reflect this. Clogged up injectors certainly could deliver the right amount of fuel but with bad dispersion in the cylinder; this would cause misfires. On an engine with 300k+ miles, pretty much every component is suspect :rolleyes:

9. tutti57

tutti57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also vacuum leaks. That's why a diagnostic plan needs to be established here. Does the OP know how to do they tests is a good start. For the injectors, a balance test is in order. Personally, I always start by looking at fuel trims.

Moto G Play ?

10. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you approach your diagnostics with two things in mind; VVT System and the misfire issue.

#10 ikefor, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    tutti57 likes this.
  11. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're very correct

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Were the "coil packs" replaced with actual OEM/Toyota, or something else?

Pretty sure you meant PCV when mentioning the EGR valve, someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.