1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

396 miles, one less buck

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tagnew, Sep 25, 2009.

1. tagnew

tagnew Junior Member

What are the odds of hitting two deer within one week(after avoiding them for over 30 years)? First jumped out at dusk and took $1400 (body shop estimate) of grill plastic and bumper. Having just test driven a 2010 IV while in for a 45k service on my 07 touring, I asked the salesman what kind of deal he might offer on trade. When he offered 62% of what I had paid exactly three years before (and he would fix the damage) I realized I would never do better and jumped on the deal. Last night, with 396 miles on the clock, after a delightful day spent with a good friend, I was returning from a 250 mile trip to Cody at which my wife gave a presentation on her new Costume Institute. Just a mile before turning onto our road another, much bigger deer made his suicide dash and ran into me (really not the other way around). Bumper, hood, driver door, front panel, headlight all mangled...door won't operate. Had been planning to drive to Ca ( 14 hrs.) to see my daughter, granddaughter, family etc. leaving tomorrow. Not going to happen now. How quickly things change. Had been planning to post on initial impressions and comparo, but will just say I was starting to really appreciate the much better power and mileage (52 at point of impact) and the simplified nav. Don't like that all the little storage cubbies went away, but the car is much approved overall. Solar is moderately effective, sunroof not very usable. Steering wheel not designed for one finger tight parking maneuvering as was the 07. Visibility does not seem improved (but not a factor in last night's debacle). Aarrrgh!!

2. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow...bummer! Maybe you'd better get those little "deer whistle" things for the front of your cars! Hope it get fixed soon, and glad you were enjoying it so far!!

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Deer whistles don't work. They are pure, unadulterated snake oil.

If it makes you feel any better, a deer ran into our Prius earlier this year. I saw it standing at the side of the road and slowed down. It looked at me, bolted, ran toward the front of the car, made a quick cut back and smacked into the side of the car. Why can't they just stand there?

Tom

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because they are stupid deer!

5. JUGL11

JUGL11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been driving for 42 years & never hit a deer until last year. Then I killed 2 within 6 months! That's because they're losing their habitat, & forced to cross roads in order to survive.

6. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    oh deer! i hope you can buck this trend.

7. kaptmorgan

kaptmorgan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am going to put my car in the garage and drive my back up car all winter, they start hunting dear here in PA soon!

8. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think it's because they are losing their habitat and being forced to cross roads, or at least down here that's not the case. The deer, turkey and several other game animals population down south is increasing, pigs are becoming a real problem. Hitting a deer is bad, hitting a full grown hog is like hitting a stump. Both I'm sure don't compare to a moose, but thankfully we don't have those.
    I always loved the deer whistles. People really thought they were sneaking up on the deer in an automobile moving at highway speeds?

I just googled this, could be pure nonsense http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/...he-controversial-benefits-of-hunting-them.htm

9. Spanky1

Spanky1 Junior Member

Sorry to hear about your ride. I hit one 2 years ago with my 05 going 70 mph at the time. We were 9 hrs from home. the repair was almost $14,000. The car got caught in a flash flood while I wasn't home in August and was totalled out by the insurance co. Picked up my 2010 last Friday and was thinking about that damn deer all the way home.