1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3M Carbon Vinyl Wrap Shifter Console - 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by w202mae, Aug 27, 2011.

1. w202mae

w202mae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After having a fresh repainted Vertex front lip, fender flares and side skirts my normal procedure is to have the front end clear bra'ed. I had one before but it was destroyed by the front lip since the lip was added on subsequently after the whole front bumper was covered, everytime I scrape the front lip it will push up the lip and slowly destroy the clear bra. After repainting the front lip I had the front clear bra completely removed, and dropped off the car to redo another clear bra with correct cutting to match the front lip, partial half front fender flares and wrap the side skirts.

I am in SoCal, the place I used for clear bra with 3M film authorized distributor and installer is Aerotect in San Dimas California. They do a good job and this is not my first vehicle to have the clear bra done. This time the friendly sales staff of Aerotect showed me the 3M stick and peel Carbon vinyl cover they now carry. I told them I always wanted my shifter console wrapped in Carbon style look, so they were nice enough to give me a sample section of a gloss finish carbon vinyl for me to try it out. There is also a matte carbon finish which I preferred, but since I didn't pay a penny I couldn't compalin what was handed to me for free.

Picked up the car, went back to my work and had the shifter console wrapped in about 30 minutes. Being that this is first time doing this type of artistic work, I screwed up the first time. Luckily the section that was given to me as a sample were enough to do the job twice. 2nd time was much better. Here are the pics. Enjoy..

* sorry for distorted photos, taken by my iphone again with weird resolutions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks good. I would like to do the entire dash... perhaps that would cut down on the rattles. :)

3. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've seen this before.. I want to do this when i have the time..

4. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Install is pretty much impossible without the use of heat gun, right?

5. w202mae

w202mae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I didnt use heat gun, although heat gun would help to flatten the sticker to get rid of the ripples or air bubbled. Key part is to stretch Or tension the sticker vinyl and the work your way down slowly with your fingers.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A regular hair dryer is more than enough heat for that stuff.:cool: Works great.

It also sticks better if you us 3M's Primer 94 on the edges and anyplace that residual tension will try to lift the vinyl. Don;t use it everyplace or it makes it too hard to reposition the vinyl while you are installing it.

7. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    xs650, thanks for the tip. I tried it on our old digital camera last night with the heat gun and it came out great.