1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3M Clear Bra: Does it effect MPG/DRAG?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by sushiDot, Aug 14, 2013.

1. sushiDot

sushiDot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello-

Wanted to see if anyone has added the 3m clear bra to the front of their prius and have noticed any drag increase/mpg decrease?

The film seems to go on very tight and is very thin...seems to protect the car well, but wanted to get some feedback before I make that run.

Thanks

2. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Why would you think it affects the drag? It's not flapping in the wind, it doesn't stick out, it doesn't create pockets to trap air.

What it does do is add weight though. This does decrease your mpg by about 0.0001% roughly. If you are able to live with that decrease then you should get it. Otherwise I suggest peeing before you get in the car to offset the weight of the plastic bra. Or if you already went, you could leave a shoe at home for the day or trade your jeans for shorts to save on weight.

3. JuRuKi

JuRuKi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^^ lol what he said

4. wbray123

wbray123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have no clue, but I don't think it's a bad question. I have read that a clean car will get better mileage because the surface is more "slippery" and the air offers less resistance. I guess that's what SushiDot was thinking. So, would air glide over the plastic material more smoothly than a clean, polished car surface? I doubt there would be much difference, but the manufacturer may have some info on the topic.

5. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This has given me a new genius thought of which I am noted for by my wife.

It rains a lot here in Oregon and MPG suffers as a result. If I cover my car with shark skin it would reduce my liquid drag significantly when it rains.

Sharks' Scales Create Tiny Whirlpools for Speedy Swimming | Mako Sharks & Shark Denticles | Underwater Robots & Fake Shark Skin | LiveScience

I made a mistake when I tied to get Toyota Customer Care to go along with my whale oil lubricant so I will not make contact until I have a patent. It would be a win/win. Get better MPG and rid ourselves of those pesky sharks that act like the ocean belongs to them!

Toyota Customer Care, Cares! | PriusChat

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it peels up and becomes a sail, that might slow you down, but that would be the only way

7. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let us know if you get it done & the cost. Thanks!

8. sushiDot

sushiDot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Heya-

I just ordered the XPEL.

Has anyone installed it post a few chips/dings?