1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3M Crystalline v Huper Optik - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ggood, Apr 24, 2015.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I know, yet another tint thread! After going for a couple of years with just the factory tint, I've decided I want better heat and glare reduction on the side windows (for highway driving). Based on my research, 3M Crystalline (3M) and Huper Optic (HO) seem to be the best stuff on the market right now for what I want (really high TSER and UV heat rejection). Based on a few phone calls, the HO will be at least $500, and the 3M will be at least $350. The tint would be 35% to 40%. I may or may not bother with the back window. Since my car is blue, I'm slightly concerned about the what I've read is a slightly amber hue for the 3M and a slightly green hue for the Huper Optik. It's my understanding the HO is thicker and may be a little tougher, but can be harder to install for the same reason, especially on curved back windows. Might be worth considering, since my Basenji has been known to scratch at the glass.

I'm leaning 3M, mostly because I can probably get it cheaper and I trust their warranty more. Anyone here have long term experience with these or similar quality tints?

2. Danger Dang

Danger Dang New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I see you are from Houston, I found a groupon deal from motor sports paid like 300 including upgrades and lifetime warranty. I opted to go 20% all around and upgrade to the 55% UV blocker.. but don't quote me on the uv thing. Overall, I am impressed with the amount of UV it actually blocks. Compared to my girlfriends tint job you can tell the major difference between the two.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I had 3M DIY installed on my former 2004 for 7 years. No fading and scratch resistant.