1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3M Paint Protection Film (clear bra)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by etw934, Jun 20, 2006.

1. etw934

etw934 Junior Member

I had the 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection film installed on the front of my '06 Prius last month and today, I had a real-world test of why paint protection film is very worthwhile.

I driving along Interstate 210 when a truck cut in front of me and caused an asphalt shingle lying flat in my lane to fly up and hit the front of my Prius on the right below the grill. When I got home, the front looked like a real mess. I got out my Meguiar's car polish and with a minimal amount of effort, cleaned the mess of asphalt of the Prius and the car and the paint protection film looks like it was brand new. The film is very tough and there are no visible scratches on the film. A great product that is well worth the expense of $400 that it cost me to have it installed

2. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(socal-prius @ Jun 20 2006, 06:38 PM) [snapback]274388[/snapback]</div>
    Where did you have it installed. I may have to make the trip to LA. as I can't find anyone around here or Vegas..........

3. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

Anyone know of this product being sold in the DC area?

4. eae

eae New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mastergunnera8 @ Jun 20 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]274417[/snapback]</div>

You can call 3M (get # from their website) to check who are authorized dealers/installers in your area. We live in Pittsburgh, and I called 3M and they gave me 3 names in my area, and then I checked the quotes - the price can vary by almost double, so call around to check. You may also want to go to the shop to look at the work of that shop 1st, just so u know what how good they are. My friend who is an expert in auto told me that 3M definitely is the film to go. Other cheaper brands do not offer as much protection. Hope it helps.

5. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mastergunnera8 @ Jun 20 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]274417[/snapback]</div>
    If you go to www.xpel.com they have a list of dealers in the DC area. Every quote I got up here was $1000+. I got mine put on by http://www.vacleartech.com/ and it was well worth the trip to Christiansburg. Granted I was already going to Blacksburg for the weekend, but it was $450 I could spend on other things. I got the entire front done, and it came to $550. I only wish I had been more clear about what I wanted on the rear bumper. He just left it with the applique as I had it, but I wanted the rear bumper done for parking protection (this was my fault...not his...and he didn't charge me). Jeff was the installer I had, and he mentioned that they did more Priuses than any other Toyota.

6. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just so you know, that any bra, (clear, leather or plastic), will cause discoloration onto the paint where it's applied. I've worked VW dealer, so I've seen even high quality clear bras cause discoloration and paint damage in less than a year. And it will eventually start looking like crap because it will start peeling and cracking, which allows dirt to get underneath and scratch the clear coat.

7. etw934

etw934 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jun 20 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]274416[/snapback]</div>
    I had it installed at Sun Dimmers in Van Nuys, CA. Joe Angel did a terrific job installing the paint protection film. I highly recommend this dealer.

8. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I'll second Joe at Sundimmers. I was very impressed with his work on my 06.

Soylent, if the clear bra will look like crap in a year or two I'll go have a new one put on as the 3M version has a 5 year warranty.

Ken

9. hobba

hobba New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(H2OSkier @ Jun 21 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]274749[/snapback]</div>

I've had a clear bra on my 05 Prius for 6 months. Living in FL., the dealer didn't recommend athe fabric bra because of the rain and humidity. So far its been very good and seem to absorb all the stuff that I-75 can throw at it. If anyone in the Ft. Myers area is looking for shop to install this product, PM me and I will forward the name of the installer.

10. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have had 3M clear bra products installed on my last 5 cars. most look great after 5 years. The product lasts and can be replaced of damamged much easier and cheaper than paint work. I personaly do my own installs as all it takes is a cool head.
    Blue