1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3m Paint Protection recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by michajc7, Apr 22, 2008.

1. michajc7

michajc7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm looking into getting the 3m paint protection applied to my Black 08 when I pick it up this week or next. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how much coverage I should get. The standard hood coverage is 18†($180 with fenders and mirrors, $150 with just mirrors). Is that enough or should I get the extended 24†coverage ($250 with fenders and mirrors)? They said they can also cover the bumper for and extra $350. Any suggestions? I’m also planning on getting the mud flaps and installing those myself and maybe the door protectors if I can find them. Thanks!

Jason

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed the 18" on my hood and it took care of my problem with paint chipping.

I also covered the inside of the front door handle wells and wish I had done the rear also.

I did not do the mirrors and have no chips there.

3. michajc7

michajc7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the reply. How is the bumper holding up without anything on it?

4. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Get everything that can be, covered. Just look around on these forums about how easily the Prius paint scratches (most of the time to the primer) You are very wise in getting your black beauty protected as soon as delivered.

You can get body molding for your door at the Prius shop on this website. It is suppose to help fund the website also.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Shrinkwrap as much as you can. I collect scratches on the front fenders, not the hood.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Also consider covering the A pillars and about a foot of the roof above the windshield. The aerodynamic Prius is a rock magnet. Toyota uses white primer under black paint, you'll be glad if you cover as much as you can.

I got the material on the headlights and fog lights too. I had to promise to not use the fog lights too much since they get hot and can cook the film. Also, they're pretty worthless for fog.

7. rkskeet

rkskeet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just got the 3M coverage last week for my 2008. My premium pkg included - 24" Hood, Full Bumper, 24" Front Fenders, Lights, Fog Lamps, Door Edge and Door Cups.. Go For It as it is a very good investment over the long term. Not to say that it will help you with saving a lot of touch-up.. Good Luck!!!

8. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How much are you guy paying for this? I got a quote for $650 and I thought that was too spicy for me... :mad:

9. rkskeet

rkskeet New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    RPIERECK - Yes you are right to say it is pricy... At first I thought it was way too expensive and that I would opt for a more traditional front cover bra. After receiving the Colgan bra for the Prius, I returned it.. It was A) Ugly and B) more important - didn't fit right at all..

I then made the decision to get the 3M film proteciton. I paid in the mid $700 range for my install with all that I had done.. I am a very conservative type person with my finances but also reasoned that I just paid in the middle $20K range for my Prius. Spending another 750 over the life of the car for the protecting the front end is not as much of a financial OUCH!! if you rationalize it in that manner. Plus it will help with the future value of the car by keeping it in good condition.

In the end, it is all about what you feel comfortable with financially and otherwise.. Think of your investment and return in the big picture when making a decision for the 3M product..

10. michajc7

michajc7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm still waiting on my car so I have some time to sort this out. I had a lengthy conversation with my local installer yesterday and got some more firm pricing. He said $250 for 24" hood with fender and mirrors and another $400-$500 for the bumper. There's another guy in Lancaster, PA that does it and I'm going to call him and see what he would charge. Unfortunately, that's going the wrong direction by about 45 min. for me going to work. I might just pay for the convenience even if he is cheaper.

11. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks rkskeet, that tells me his price is not too far off... I am also not a fan of car bras, they do make any car look ugly...