1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3M Paint Protective Film, and Headlight Protection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by New_Yorker, Oct 28, 2007.

1. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2007 Prius Touring is Black, a color that looks amazing but is marred by any small ding or scratch. Consequently I intend to have the 3M Paint Protection film installed on the nose, and side mirrors.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has protected their Prius with these products. I was able to buy and install the heavy 3M headlight/Fog light shields by myself. I am contemplating the idea of attempting the paint protection film as well. I have no installers anywhere near me according to the website for the 3M film.

I have zero interest in the vinyl Bra's that ruin the appearance of the Prius. The 3M film is more expensive, and easily more difficult to install but done well it is invisible, can be waxed, and provides incomparable protection.

Has anyone on Long Island or in the tri-State NYC area found a decent 3M installer ?

2. justifyd

justifyd New Member

I had the 3M urethane film installed shortly after I took delivery of my '07 Prius Touring. It's definitely good for peace of mind if you're concerned about the small nicks and dings that "just happen" over time.

Definitely go for as much protection as you can budget. You'd be amazed at how much of a beating the side mirrors take, so covering them is certainly worthwhile.

You can check http://www.xpel.com to see if they list any installers in your area. They also list the Prius kits they offer.

You've received great advice with regard to the vinyl coverings (don't use them) and urethane installation (have a pro do it). After watching the installation of my film, I can say there is absolutely NO way I could've done a decent job!

You can use Plexus spray to polish and protect the film. (A good microfiber towel is a must.) Oh, if only the rest of the car were this easy to "wax"! B)

- Justifyd

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(New_Yorker @ Oct 28 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]531572[/snapback]</div>
    Since you did the lights yourself you shouldn't have any problem with the mirrors as they are pretty flat. The hood & bumper were trickier. A professional install invokes a warranty. Do you have something covering the top of the rear bumper?

5. marvmmarv

marvmmarv New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got the clear film from xtremecity on ebay and installed it myself. The complete custom kit was $40 including shipping. At that price, I felt it was worth the gamble.

It looks great! It looks as good and has the same warranty as the 3M film on my other car. That job cost $600.

Marv

6. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Oct 28 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]531803[/snapback]</div>
    The top of the rear bumper has a Prius factory plastic shield of its own on it. I figure that will protect it for the 30 months till my lease ends and my sister gets the Prius. It is because she wants the car that I'm buying any extra protection I can. I personally don't pay a dime for the car my employer buys everything, gas, insurance and car with a new replacement in 30 months.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Oct 28 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]531658[/snapback]</div>

Thanks. The nearest installer on Long Island is 60 miles away, and I have no idea how competent they are. Ideally I can find a shop that does this kind of installation regularly since the difference betweeen my installation and the pro install is experience, and for the 600 dollars they charge, I want a whole lot of experience. I am surprised that no one offers this product through the dealers, which was how I acquired my custom Bone colored leather interior, color matched body side molding and custom sized sunshield. This is my first Prius (07 Touring Edition) but it definitely won't be my last. In two years I'll get another, and my sister wil buy this for the lease residual, 11,400 buckaroos. It should have about 50 K miles on it by then, and I'd like it to look new.

7. 08XKLimited

08XKLimited New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello - Jeep guy here wanting to know how well this film has held up so far. I just received my keep for my Jeep and before I install it would like to know if there are any problems with the paint fogging (with the Xtremecity film). I have used 3M paint protection before on a dark metallic blue vehicle and it looks just like the day I put in on in 2003 - hoping that this non-3M will do the same. Thank you.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the film is noted as uv neutral the fading will be equal and you won't notice the difference. The VentureShield film does not block uv. I am still happy with my film and would like to see more of the car covered.