1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film-Self Install???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daisy, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Anybody been brave enough to buy some bulk rolls of this stuff and try to do it yourself? A kit with professional install in my area is going to cost around $700, and that is just too much.

Thinking about trying it myself with some bulk rolls from Ebay.

Daisy

2. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have used scrap material that I had around for the mirrors and hood.. I Just bought more from eBay and plan to do the front of the car.

The install is very time consuming and must be done in a very clean wind free environment. You should also know that you have to use Isopropal Alcohol and it is rough on the hands.

My mirrors came out perfect. I need to redoo the hood. My material had a flaw in it and it looks bad.

Blue

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is the mil thickness on this product?

If you mess up and have to do it again...does it effect the paint finish on the car? If you hate it and decide to chuck it, does it look like you tried and failed? I.E....does it damage the paint?

I'm adventurous and pretty good with my hands. Did all my windows with film and you can't even tell. But I'm afraid to do my car. I want it done, but don't want to pay $700. I also don't want one of those vinyl car bras if I can avoid it.

4. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The stuff I buy is 8 mil.

To remove use a hair dryer on high to warm the tape and pull slowly.

Clean with Dish Washing soap and rinse. Now before you apply the tape. Remove wax with dawn dish soap again. ( Dish Soap Strips Wax off cars ).

I use 80% Isopropal Alcohol on the tape and car when installing the tape.
    Spray the whole area so that it floats on the surface so you can position it. Then Slowly work from the center. Keep spraying the solution under the tape so you can work out any bubbles...

Now find out where they install the stuff and watch an installer do the work. It is very hard the first time and you will make alot of mitakes.

I watched a few installs before I even tried. I still am vey slow on installing the tape.

Blue

5. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Someone on eBay sells the 3M Prius kits for about 300.00, self install.

Another thread on this topic was that the 3M product is too thin for long life, yellows. Thicker product avaliable does a better job supposedly.

6. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have been using 3m product for years. I have not had any yellowing. The problem with the thicker material is that you really see it on the car. With the thinner material you will not see it unless you look for it. I tried 12mm and thicker and you really notice the film.

The thicker stuff works great on the lights...

Blue

7. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i got mine from invinca-shield. they offer pre-cut 3M film for various cars:

Prius 3M Invinca-Shield

it came with an installation kit (2 bottle sprayers and solutions, videotape guide, squeegee, microfiber cloth applicator, and some practice pieces of 3M film)

hmm, bulk 3M from ebay? tempting to buy and apply on all 4 doors! :mrgreen: