1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd Gen Prius scores max 5 in Euro NCAP Crash Testing

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wooski, May 30, 2009.

1. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A throw away comment in the latest UK Toyota eNewsletter - but first confirmation (I think):

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With its maximum 5* NCAP safety rating, road tax exemption, and Hybrid Synergy Drive technology the All New Prius is a family car with style.[/FONT]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. Is that frontal only? or overall?

3. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's new cars generally do hit 5 stars - both the iQ and new Avensis managed 5 stars, both with over 90% in the Adult Occupant rating, Avensis managing 86% in the Child rating. Pedestrian Safety only in the mid 50s on both cars, but this is quite good compared to some other new cars. Safety Assist will be 86% for the new Prius as all models get VSC+, but 'speed limitation assist' isn't offered.

The rating system changed this year so old ratings aren't directly comparable. In the old system you weren't supposed to quote the Adult Occupant rating only, but many did.

Five stars is really the minimum target for any new car, as so many other cars have already achieved it. In fact as far as I can see, the only 2009 ratings not five stars are the Citroen C3 Picasso MPV, Subaru Impreza (both managed four stars), and Suzuki Alto (only three stars).

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget the smart. It was built to get 4 stars (and it did)

7. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    While I do not recall the exact thread, I do recall that Doug, from the Prius team mentioned a while back that due to some regulation change in the US, next year's cars will weigh slightly more due to some additional steel to meet the new safety requirements.

I wonder if the vehicles sent to the us maybe meet a different standard than the ones used in the 'Euro NCAP" crash testing. In other words, would the current US models score as highly as these?

Does anyone know the weight specs for the Euro and Asian models as compared to the Us spec cars? I know there will be a slight variance to equipment availability, but specifically I would like to know if there is a significant difference to to structural steel.

8. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is quite likely that Prii destined for US market would have different Euro NCAP car crash results than those destined for European markets. But I think difference should not be huge. I doubt they would make several structurally quite different safety designs for each market. The differences are usually in details. Like VSC+ not being standard in old US model, while it was standard for all EU models.

Ogo

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends. Is the current Euro NCAP equivalent to the current NHTSA standard or the new NHTSA standard? If it's current, then next year's cars will be safer than the European ones (unless they get the same additional steel). If not, then it'll be just as safe as the European ones.

10. Gord

Gord New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you guys in the US have bigger cars on the roads than here in Europe. So the additional steel is probably for the eventuality the Prius gets raped by a SUV or some other assorted fuel sucking pig.

11. RoyalBlue

RoyalBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On paper a US Prius is 77lb heavier than a Dutch Prius. However keep in mind that weight determination is done by certain rules, and these rules may differ between the US and Europe. I cannot imagine that the basic structure of a US Prius is different from a European Prius.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    equipment differences could account for that too.

13. RoyalBlue

RoyalBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't think so. Equipment wise there is not much difference between the basic European and US models. There is only one weight specified for all US versions (II, III, IV and V) and that is 3042lb. The same applies to the Dutch versions, there it is 1345kg.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why people are unaware of how much weight they're adding and how that affects mileage.

In Canada, Honda has listed two different mileage figures for the LX and EX model. The EX model is 0.2L/100km thirstier in the city because of added equipment.

The only time they'll list different weights is if there are trim levels (so I'm not sure why the 2010 Prius doesn't have it unless they're not treating the roman numerals as trim levels). For example, we'll have different weight numbers for the Corolla CE, S, LE and XRS as well as the Camry LE, SE, XLE, Hybrid but only one figure for the Yaris (well two because of 3 or 5 door bodystyle) because everthing else is a package add-on.

Edit: Hmm..1,345kg??? Your Prius is lighter than the Canadian one then. Our 2004 was 1,300kg and it mysteriously went up to 1,330kg in 2005. The new one is 50kg heavier so we're expecting 1,380kg. So at 1,345kg, there's something removed.

15. tone_uk

tone_uk Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UK Model is listed at 1,370 – 1,420kg depending on package - it's a bloater :eek:

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no kidding. That's Camry territory and the Camry is a large car (well the Gen 5 anyway which had quite a bit of aluminium used. They cut back on the Gen 6 cause now the base Gen 6 weighed the same as our loaded Gen 5 4 cylinder. Eek!)

17. RoyalBlue

RoyalBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is funny. Like I wrote in an other thread on this forum, the UK versions look almost stripped compared to the top Dutch versions. In fact I think that our Executive version is about the most complete Prius version in the world (excl. extra packages etc.).

To make things even more funny, for the road tax the car is listed with a weight of 1203kg. Since it is a hybrid, the weight of the electrical propulsion system is deducted from the actual weight. I just love the sense of humour of politicians.

18. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 people like this.
  19. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting points in the report, if you click on 'Comments" section. I especially like the last one, I highlighted below in RED.

"Adult occupant
    The passenger compartment remained stable in the frontal impact. The dummy readings indicated good protection of the knees and femurs. Toyota showed that occupants of different sizes and those sat in different seating positions would be offered a similar level of protection. The car scored maximum points in the side barrier test. In the more severe side pole impact, protection of the chest was rated as marginal. Likewise, marginal protection was provided by the front seats and head restraints against whiplash injuries in a rear impact.

Child occupant
    The head of the 3 year dummy, sat in a forward facing seat, did not move forward excessively in the frontal impact. The heads of both dummies were properly contained within the shell of their respective restraints in the side impact. The passenger airbag can be disabled to allow a rearward facing child restraint to be used in that seating position. The dangers of doing so without first disabling the airbag are clearly explained in a label which is permanently attached to the sun visor.

Pedestrian
    The bonnet offered good protection in most areas likely to be struck by a child's head. Protection of an adult's head was predominantly good or marginal, as was the protection offered to pedestrians' legs by the bumper and the front edge of the bonnet.

Safety assist
    Electronic stability control is standard equipment, as is a seatbelt reminder system for the driver and front and rear passengers"

I would love to know if this is a typo, or is there a reason that the European versions have seat belt reminders for the rear passengers?

Otherwise, it is good news to hear that this car is so safe!

1 person likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    European models do have a rear seatbelt detection system. They show up on the MID. I'll try to find the pic that I saw.

Edit: Bah, I can't find it. It's hard to search on PC when the japanese characters are replaced with ??? and other chars so you rely on the poster to write something in English so you can hit that keyword.