1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd gen Prius with P0A94 dc/dc faulty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Srikanths3, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Srikanths3

Srikanths3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi just had my 2010 Prius checked in Jemca Croydon uk ..my query is with the inverter needing replacement costing £1840..my car has done 47000miles and been regularly serviced with the dealer. .It was also assessed in 2014 for the software update recall. .I am disappointed as I did take an extended warranty for 5y which had just expired.
    Reading through online forums I note toyota did change the faulty inverters in the USA. .my dealer was most unhelpful. .not only did they take over a week for diagnosis but repairs I will have to wait even longer. .does toyota take over repairs in the UK?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! have you looked for a salvage unit? they are inexpensive here, and labor is simple. all the best!(y)

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With only 47,000 miles on your car this should be covered by the Hybrid Warranty I would think. In the US this is 8 years or 100,000 miles. What is the Hybrid Warranty in the UK? I would check your Warranty Manual for details. In the US the Hybrid Warranty is very specific as to what parts are covered.

The TSB with the extended warranty in the US is for a specific sub-assembly of the Inverter Module known as the Inverter Power Module or IPM. This contains the IGBT power components and heat sinks. This is what the software recall was intended to help protect from failure.

You indicate that your failure code is for the DC-DC Converter sub-assembly of the Inverter Module. This converts the HV Battery 200+ VDC to 12VDC for the electronics and 12V battery charging.

If this is the true failure component I doubt that would be covered even in the US with the extended warranty for the IPM module.

4. Srikanths3

Srikanths3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for your helpful suggestion today-I ahve since had the inv erter replaced by an independent toyota dealer for £1500-and note the car has started accelerating at high speed without my control and had to keep my foot on brake pedal as footbrake does not work --all scary and the independent dealer states it will wear out as an issue in time..
    I am not sure in the UK if toyota covers with extended warranty as the US

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yikes, I would contact corporate Toyota; they're sensitive about uncontrollable acceleration.

My (total) guess would be they neglected to reconnect something properly? No warning lights??