1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd Party GPS & Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by aengleson, Nov 2, 2010.

1. aengleson

aengleson New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2001 Prius that I am wanting to add GPS to. I have a Garmin that I currently just set in front of the Prius touchscreen, but it would be nice not to have to mess with the cord and it sliding around.
    Has anyone done this? Is it even worth it? I don't need the GPS everyday (maybe once a month), but it would be really nice to add more functionality to the touch screen.
    I am also interested in the possibility of connecting my iPhone to the sound system. I will probably just use the tape player, but once again it would be nice if I could somehow install a headphone jack or USB port.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I think integrating a 3rd party gps would be pretty challenging ... we do know what pins on the mfd are the video inputs, and the wiring diagram does show how the stock nav box hijacks the audio, but you would have to like electronics that much, and also somehow figure out the avclan interface between the stock nav box and the mfd.

On the other hand, mlibanio has a lot of information on installing a stock Toyota nav if you can obtain one. Not cheap but would look stock.

As far as getting an audio input, dice electronics makes a gadget that can interface to an iPod and also has a plain line in jack. It works in a gen 1 if you slightly mod the cable that comes with it. Details are in an earlier thread by me. (I'm posting from dad's iPhone else I would look up and add more links.) For the line in you'll want to add a ground loop isolator (avail at radio shack) to avoid an annoying hum.

-Chap