1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd Party HID Kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by j3tbl8ck, Nov 20, 2005.

1. j3tbl8ck

j3tbl8ck New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hello All!

Since I mainly care for the safety of the night driving than the appearance it adds to the Prius, I would like to have the 3rd HID kit installed.

I was just wondering whether or not anyone has installed a 3rd HID kit on their Prius from their standard halogen lamp? I know there are tons of car out there that have done the upgrade from the standard halogen lamps (without any issues-other than the law) :D, but I would to know if anyone would know that there would be an issue installing the HID kit on the Prius?

Also, if you do have it installed, please post some pictures when possible.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

My reason for asking is that... the road to and from my house is very dark (has no lights on the road) and the current stock halogen lamps are not sufficient to light up at night (trying not to hit any deer or any other types of animals). :D

Thank you
    JB

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PM jayselle. She did a conversion.

3. FIRESTARTER

FIRESTARTER New Member

I had mine for 2 months now and got the 6000k HID kit and I am very happy with it, it was brighter and whiter than any OEM HID in the street. I have no issue installing it you just need to remove the front bumper for easy installation.

4. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

Use your brights. :)

5. AzizaVFR

AzizaVFR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While I have not installed a set of HID's into a Prius, as part of a conversion kit, I have installed several sets of HID's into motorcycles. One of my bikes currently has two 5200K 35W bulbs for low beams in an H4 housing, while there are two more 5200K 35W bulbs installed into a set of PIAA P1000XT driving lights for high beams.

When installing them, you have to take in account the length of the bulb and the external electrode on the bulb itself. Most HID bulbs are a bit longer than their halogen counterparts. You need to also be aware of the mounting for the ballast/ignitor.

When choosing the Kelvin rating, do not go to far up the scale. For the street, the absolute max I would go is 6000K. At that point, you are getting more of a blue cast than a white. Your best bet is to go somewhere 4100K-5200K if you want to put out as much visible light as possible.

Enjoy,
    Randal

6. inPlacentia

inPlacentia New Member

Can you please tell us what 6000k kit is?

How different is it from OEM?

7. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've installed two HID kits in other cars. Direct plug and plug, the most difficult part is removing the bumper.

If you are looking for aftermarket kit, i'd recommend McCulloch brand and 4100k, 4300k, 5000k, or AT THE MOST 6000k. Remember, that the lower the Kelvin rating is the greatest brightness.

4100k = white
    5000k = slight blue / mostly white
    6000k = more electric blue than white

Also keep in mind that after 100 hours or so, the Kelvins will go "up". In other words, if you buy a 4100k kit it may turn to 4300k after 100 hours.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does it go "up"?

9. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did a conversion, I am a guy by the way.

I purchased the Mcculloch 4100k bi-xenon h4 kit off ebay for almost $500.

Keep in mind using a kit is a bush league way of doing it. Ideally you would want to replace the halogen housing with the OEM hid housing then just get a standard hid kit. This solution will most likely run you $1200 as each headlight is $350 + the hid equipment. The HID I purchased just goes into the current H4 slot. It doesn't seem to blind oncoming traffic and puts out quite a bit more light.

The swap out is simple. Just pull out the H4 bulbs. The Mcculoch kit came with a nice wiring harness with relays and fuses already in place. Just connected the harness to ground and power. Install the new bulbs, attached to ballast and ignitor and then connect those to the wiring harness, connect the old H4 plug to the wiring harness. No cutting wires or splicing. Everything has connectors so you can't connect things backwards or wrong. Whole thing took about an hour. Half that time was running hiding the wiring harness and ballast to keep a stock appearance in the engine compartment.

EDIT:

Just as a discliamer I believe adding HID to Halogen housings is illegal. To remain DOT legal you would have to use all OEM equipment like I mentioned above. This is evident as you won't find any HID conversion kits for sale in the "US". I bought mine from a guy in California off ebay, however, the kit was made in Japan and the writing on the box is in Japanese. You wont be able to go to your local dealer and pick one of these up nor will you able able to find one from a US distributor. DO NOT get anything over 5000k! It will make it harder to see and you will get stopped by the police eventually for excessive color and brightness.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry jayselle. :(

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle

12. aponteluis

aponteluis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayselle @ Nov 27 2005, 02:07 AM) [snapback]162028[/snapback]</div>
    I just received my kit, but it seems that the relay module hooks up to only one of the existing lamp connectors. What do I do with the second one? Bag it and stow it?

You mentioned removing the bumper. How do I do that? Also, what about adjusting the lamps. My kit included a ser of small screws to adjust them. Lastly, attaching the ballasts. Where? Using existing hardware?

Thanks for the info.

Luis

13. aponteluis

aponteluis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aponteluis @ Jul 7 2007, 12:06 PM) [snapback]474647[/snapback]</div>
    Anyone knows where to connect the 12V lug of the HID conversion kit? I was thinking of the jump contact in the fuse box. Anyone knows of a better place?