1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd set of brake pads at 80k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Liz M, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Liz M

Liz M Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi everyone,

So when I bought my 2010 Prius in 2014 with 22k, it had been sitting most of its life and the rotors were rusty. Dealer told me I had to do brake pad replacement in 2016 because rusted rotors had done a number on the pads, so I skipped the dealer and replaced them myself. They did need replacing, but they were unevenly worn. First brake job I ever did, so not sure if that's normal. Here's the key though- like an idiot- I somehow accidentally ordered drilled and slotted rotors as replacements. They were too expensive to ship back so I used them and well-reviewed ceramic pads (Hawk I think). Everything worked fine.

Now in 2018, last dealer visit tells me I'm at 5mm on the rears and 8mm on the fronts. I told dealer I'd heard Prius should last ages without brake pad change, and he said, and I quote "I have no idea why Prius owners keep telling me that. It's just not true- it wears brake pads the same as any other car".

So my questions are 1.) Is it weird that I need rear pads again, or just write it off to drilled and slotted wearing the pads quicker? 2.) Is the dealer right that it wears just like any other car? 3.) Why are the backs wearing faster than the fronts? (both times) 4.) Should I switch back to regular rotors despite the cost of doing so?

I'd really like to get more than 30k miles out of my pads. For what it's worth, I have a fairly brake heavy work commute. 10 miles of stop and go every day.

Thanks everyone!

2. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Switch back to regular rotors and brake pads. The slotted rotors are for performance and will wear your brake pads down quicker than normal rotors due to the holes pressing against the brake pads and wearing them down.

The Toyota Prius brake pads don’t wear down like your conventional vehicle due to the regen. Brake system. My brake pads are still original since 2011-2012, so for the service writer to tell you that, he doesn’t know what he’s talking about and you should find another person more knowledgeable about the Toyota Prius.

If I were you, swap out your rotors and pads and go back to stock if you want it to last longer than 30k miles. My vehicles at 160k and pads still looking good. The last time I checked, it was barely on the half mark and it was at 110k miles or so.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are the minimum thicknesses vs the 5 and 8m he quoted you?

dealers are notorious liars when it comes to brakes. since you have the qualifications, take a look yourself.

RMB likes this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rusted rotors WILL eat pads. But if you are driving the car, that surface rust is not a problem.
    And brake wear will depend on how you brake. If you drive like an F1 driver does, they won't last long at all,
    even on a Prius. I recently replaced my front pads, 138,745 miles. I put 22,xxx miles on them.
    Rear still had about 1/2 the pad left so I didn't change them, yet.
    How do you mean "unevenly worn"?
    And they are very easy to change yourself.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have 184 k miles on our 2010 with the original brake pads on every corner:).

I lube the pins and perform an inspection every other year or so ;).

There is about 7mm on the fronts and at least 6mm on the rears. If they are wearing out fast particularly in the winter regions, check the slide pins if they are stuck.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

RMB, NutzAboutBolts and bisco like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    New pad depth front is 10 mm and rear 9.5, and service limit is 1 mm. If I had them off and they were anything less than 4, I think I'd replace them, not worth the hassle of putting them back on. I think too: near-new, thicker pads, are going to absorb heat better, perform better.

@Liz M : Just my 2 cents: I never replaced rotors. One of the first things I bought way back when was a micrometer and dial indicator (with magnetic base). With those two items you can check the thickness and runout. It seems to me machining and/or replacement of rotors is way overdone. Maybe the rotor replacement was warranted, if they were severely rusted, but I'm sceptical.

My bugbear, for DIY 3rd gen rear brake jobs: were you aware of the need to reasemble with a specific piston face orientation? It should be like a letter X, like this:

upload_2018-8-14_17-5-44.png

There's a pin on the back of the inner pad that must lock solidly between the spokes on the piston face, top prevent it rotating when you apply the parking brake. If it manages to rotate and a spoke rides up on the pin, you'll get excessive/constant rear brake drag, uneven brake pad pressure on the the rotor, especially the inside face, beveled brake pad wear, hotdog fingers and possession by the devil.

I'm actually kidding, those last two...

A good check is to chock the front tires, raise the rear, and (with parking brake released) see that the wheels spin semi-freely, at least a revolution or two when you let go.

I'll attach info from the repair manual.

Attached Files:

RMB, NutzAboutBolts, padroo and 2 others like this.
  7. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's not normal, I'm on original pads at 160k. 5mm is nowhere near replacement, replace at 2mm.

Raytheeagle likes this.