1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4.5L/100 km!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lucky1, Jul 1, 2008.

1. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I finally did 60 mpg. I bought two Prius 2 months ago for taxi's.
    I the last couple of weeks I decided to focus on the consumption more than i had the first month. Today I drove over 200 km and ended up at 4.5L.
    I live in a city of 150,000 and don't have to deal with express ways that might hurt the fuel economy. 60% of my travel would be on single lane roads and 40% on 4 lane roads. With today being a holiday there wasn't much traffic to deal with until 11 a.m. and after that it was much lighter traffic than normal.
    With the lack of traffic it was very easy to get up to 55/ 70 kmh and maintain a steady pace for long distances.
    Accelerate at a smooth steady pace and get up to 15/20 km over the speed limit if you want and once you get there make sure you don't fluctuate up or down much (easier said than done in heavy traffic). Coast into red lights as much as possible without holding traffic up. Don't try to gain speed when going up a hill, wait until you are on the flat to gain the extra speed. I would check on the same hill a few times a day and could see a huge difference in the consumption depending on how much gas I gave it.
    To me the most important was the slow smooth acceleration and taking it easy on the hills. I had always coasted into the red lights when I was getting 5 to 5.5L per 100 km.
    I have a goal of getting 4.3L per 100 km. That will have to be done on a weekend morning in quieter traffic. One of the drivers who owns a Prius consistently does 4.5 and has been as low as 4.3. I told him I refuse to do the Fred Flinstone thing to get the 4.3 per 100km.
    With the 200 to 300 km a day we travel I am sure that I can get more efficient over time.
    At $1.30 a litre ($5.85 per gallon) I am loving the $20,000 my Prius cabs will save me this year.

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    cool! Pictures are required in the by laws I think! and what color are they?

3. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They are Black and Charcoal. That was all they had at the dealership and with the lack of availability I was not going to be too picky when they were not being bought as a personal vehicle.