1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4-6 month wait for a Prius or 3-4 @ 13 % over MSRP

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Emilio, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Emilio

Emilio New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just started my search, I live in Rhode Island a local dealer has advised 4-6 month waiting period, there allotment is 4 cars a month. On a recent trip to NYC, dealer a dealer in Westchester indicated they have the vehicle available in 3-4 weeks for 13 % :hurt: over MSRP. They claim there there allotment is 14 cars a month. Is there anyone out that can advise of a dealer within 1000 miles that has vehicles available that I can drive off the lot (or a couple of weeks wait) for MSRP. I assume this is to much to ask for.
    regards
    E

2. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In NY, there is about a six month wait time on a Prius and the dealers are asking 5K over list. I bought my car last year and paid below invoice and was able to shop around. I had a guy in a Hummer stop me and offer me 2k above invoice for my car!!

3. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sold!! To the good sense guy driving the Hummer. Here's the key fob.

Okay, $2K over MSRP, I use my other car for transportation and eventually put down on a 2010 Prius.

ZC1

4. TravelBliss

TravelBliss It's worth the wait !!!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately it's a seller's market right now for the Prius, due to our escalating fuel costs. Waitlists are long, and dealers know they can charge what they want over MSRP because for every person who won't pay over MSRP, there are probably 10 who WILL.
    It boils down to how badly you want a Prius, vs. a cheaper car with relatively good mpg (ford focus, or toyota corolla/yaris)....

You really CAN'T compare the prius prices of yesterday/years gone by to what they are going for now. To do that only makes you crazy, and it was a bitter pill I swallowed too.

Put it into perspective....if you bought a Prius now, you will probably be better off next year, when gas prices hover over $5/gallon !!!

5. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  6. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bet they're already sold. Dealers' online inventories include allocated cars that haven't yet been delivered to the buyer.

7. hypnogirl

hypnogirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, I did the online chat. The girl said, I see we show some. I will have to give your info to the internet mgr. who will contact you. When I pushed for more info, she said the mgr. would have to cross reference the vehicles shown online against the waiting list to see if any are available for sale.
    Why even bother to list them online??
    I'll wait patiently for my black #2 that should be coming in September.
    I ordered it 3 weeks ago. I ordered it from a dealership in a small town who doesn't do the volumn that the big dealerships do in my area. I felt the advantage was that they charged MSRP and hopefully they are smaller and not jerking everyone around. :confused:

8. LenS

LenS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was very lucky. My 2008 Prius came in about 14 weeks after ordering it and I got it 10% off. :) ....... (My son works for Toyota and he ordered it for me. Sounds like people need to start searching their family tree). I didn't know it but I WAS LUCKY!

Boy I sure don't understand GM crushing all those EV cars. Oh, thats right they are on December 31, 2010 going to come out with a much better electric car. I really do hope it works like the Ever Ready bunny and doesn't blow a fuse. America DOES need to get off its oil addiction.

9. JM Bethesda

JM Bethesda New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Prius should be in by mid-July. I'm getting a White Package #2 at MSRP. Chose a red as my first choice, but white was my second so I'm happy. (BTW, does anyone know how to change Avatars? I need to switch mine to white)

I keep checking my dealer's inventory online, and they are always sold out of not just the Prius, but also the Corolla and Yaris. Looks like they get just a few in every week and they are sold by the end of the week.

Of course if you want a Sequoia, they have 26 on the lot to choose from. Also a dozen 4 Runners, several Land Cruisers, etc. The salesmen are going crazy because nobody wants any of the cars they have in stock, just the Prius and other small cars.

10. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Make sure you are logged on.
    Click on User CP at the top of the screen.
    On the left, click on "Edit Avatar"

There you are!

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $695 over MSRP

Cross-posted from another thread...

Of the 34 units 20 had matching orders and the others were being contacted to see if 2nd or 3rd choices were acceptable. More due late July/ early Aug....then mid Aug....etc.. etc.

12. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Got my used (2007) Prius, certified Toyota used vehicle, full warranty ect for book 6 weeks ago. Same car is listed now on the dealers website for $5500 more than I paid.....go figure. I am sure that the 05 Dakota Quad Cab I traded in is still sitting somewhere, most likley with the gas light on......:D

13. Rod2008

Rod2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :)
    Hello Everyone!

Just picked up my Silver 2008 today! Dealer at first told me to get on the waiting list and that it would be around the end of August or September till I got one, maybe. SURPRISE! Like four days later he called that one came in and the person above me did not want it because the color. HAHA I took it and it has a package 6 to boot. I did pay around 30k for it, with only 23 miles logged on so far..I LOVE IT. If it flew it would be the perfect "future" car!:angel:

14. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am going to get on the waiting list for a Silver Pine Mica Package 2. Was told 4-6 mos., but I have my black Prius to hold me over. When I hear the SPM is near, I will sell the black one!

15. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    WOW....
    I guess I got lucky.
    I did not buy my Prius from the dealer.
    I bought through my credit union.
    They have an auto-buying service.
    I ordered it in May and had it 2 weeks later.
    2000 below MSRP.

Now I read that one of the dealerships here has a
    waiting list of 300 people.

I know that sucks for everyone who is waiting, but I am happy.
    We are proving that the Prius is the best car.
    I would gladly have waited.

People are finally voting with their feet and their dollars.