1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 day owner, and then?!?!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Gibman73, May 20, 2016.

1. Gibman73

Gibman73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello everyone, I suppose I should have done a little more homework. I have bought a 2006 Prius, I was so glad to find one with the leather interior and the sweet JBL stereo. Everything seems very well taken care of. Had no floor mats, but I like the sets from Weathertech anyhow. I was driving this evening though and see the drivers side headlight is out, it was working the other night, so I'm a bit annoyed the headlight went out 4 days from purchasing. I'm pretty sure it's HID, they have a blue tint to them. I didn't realize there was a headlight issue. I was more focused on looking up potential problems for the more obvious bits, engine/motor, transmission. I saw some mention of cheapish lamps available on Amazon. I'm guessing swapping out to the halogen system is not a very good option? Any chance lamp cost has come down at all? I can tell it's a great car otherwise, but I'd rather not drop a big chunk of cash if I can help it.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A HID bulb goes in and out. So it could have been working the other night, and it might work tomorrow, but it is technically dead and needs to be replaced. They should be replaced in pairs.

There is no headlight issue. This is ridiculous and just keeps spreading, oh the internet.

In 2005, when the 2006 Prius was being built, Phillips had a manufacturing problem and they make the HID bulbs for Toyota. The bulbs were just crap that came out for a short while, and those ended up in many MY 2006 Prii. So the 2006 had many infant headlight failures because the bulbs were bad.

This was super compounded because Toyota made an error in the service manual that the technicians use. Nowadays the monkeys in the garage do not actually deduce what is wrong with the car. They look it up, and do what it says because if they don't they can be held liable and other problems. The service manually incorrectly stated to replace the entire headlight assembly which includes the bulb (yay!) and also the ballast (boo!). This became a $1K to $1.5K repair which is correct if you actually needed to replace those parts. But Toyota techs just threw away a bunch of good stuff because someone wrote the wrong thing in the manual.

So now onto your problem. Your headlight bulb is dead, you need 2 new headlight bulbs. You should be able to get them for less than $100 these days. The ballasts should be fine. And these bulbs will last another decade.

My bulbs that I put in in 2009 just died last weekend and I drive with my headlights on whenever the car is on. So 7 years of continuous harsh multi-hour drives versus most people having them on for 20 minutes at night to drive home.

Good luck!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! how many miles on her? unfortunately, you have a 10 year old car. so, any issue is possible to crop up at any time. nothing you can do at time of purchase other than check current working condition. leather seats and sound systems are like wallpaper over cracked plaster, whats hiding behind the facade? all the best down the road!(y)

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The failed bulb might not be original equipment. My Prius with HID didn't have a blue tint.