1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 low tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LDB, Sep 10, 2015.

1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went to Discount Tire yesterday to get the tires checked. They were 27 and 28 pounds all around. I went up to 39/37 since they were warm from driving. Makes me wonder about QC at the factory and dealer that initially received the car. My dealer picked it up from another dealer so they only had the car about 30 minutes before I drove it home. They didn't really have time to do anything to it so I don't blame them. I figure I'll get at least 27 more mpg with the tires fully inflated. :D

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Upon re-filling your tires, you need to reset the TPMS so it will remember the new pressures. Also, most run 39/37 psi cold in these cars to get better MPG. Your tires should be rated at 44 psi max cold pressure, so you are well below limits of the tires.

#2 FuelMiser, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. I wouldn't have thought about doing that reset.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't put your back out, looking for the reset button. It's around the edge of the lower dash, under steering wheel. Reset's in the manual, the last step it says something like leave the car in ready "for a few minutes", after doing the reset. I'm never sure what the heck that means, 3 minutes seems to work.

Don't assume higher pressures are going to make that much difference. Try different pressures, see how it goes, and also how it feels. I'm inclined to not go too much higher, on the rational that hard tires are stressing the suspension more. But then, we have the low profile 17", and they're less forgiving.

Also, check the spare's pressure asap.

5. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I found it in the pdf manual. I'm going to go out and do the reset and then get ready to leave. That should give it 5-10 minutes to cogitate before I leave.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "They didn't really have time to do anything..." I'll bet they had time to bill Toyota for the dealer prep and to short you on the gas. You should check all the fluids. My Intrigue was delivered without washer fluid although that was one of the items checked off on the inspection list.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One really sneaky item: just forward of the rear wheel spats, on the body underside, there should be oval/oblong plugs filling holes, both sides of the car. My understanding is they're for some sorta locking pins, used during shipping. And the dealership is responsible for putting in these plugs.

We were missing one side.

They're just inboard of the rear jacking point marks:

image.jpg

(Good alternative jack stand location, btw)

8. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They did fill the gas tank. I don't know about the washer fluid. I'll check for the plugs also.

9. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2014 had 30 all around off the lot, I adjusted them myself at home. I thought perhaps they do this for a soft ''test drive'' by buyers, maybe not. It did ride softer on the lower pressure tires...