1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 month old 07 Prius ABS Module Chirping Sound (module activating)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rick 432, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In June of 2024, I replaced the ABS module with a brand new OEM Toyota part on my 2007 Prius. The old one worked and did not display any codes but it was on its way out. Within the past two weeks, I noticed that the ABS module was starting to make the chirping noise again but not nearly as loud. When I step on the brake I hear it, sometimes when I am driving I can hear it activate and when I put my foot on the brake I can hear the pump activate (not every time I step on the brake). For the first few months, there was zero sound from the ABS module. Now I am getting that chirping sound again. There are no codes and there are no lights on the dashboard. I am relatively new to owning a Prius so I am not totally familiar with the car. Please any help or direction would be appreciated. Do they all do this or am I looking at a defective ABs module?
    Thanks so much!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My experience with this is: you still have an air bubble in the system.

Rick 432 likes this.
  3. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you "Truth Seeker" very much for the post. I used an X-D7 Scanner to bleed the system. I am hoping you are correct. The brakes worked perfectly from June (installed new ABS module) until a few weeks ago when all this ABS motor chirping started. Do you believe that the air could work its way unto the system after a few thousand miles? I can fix most cars but this is a different animal! Thanks again for reaching out to me! :)

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My most recent Gen 2 actuator job was a brand new unit purchased from Toyota by the car owner. Did the swap, did the bleed, drove the car for about a 100 miles over the course of a few days to ensure no problems. Sat for a couple days. Took it for a test drive again the day before the owner was coming by to pick it up. Started making a light chirping sound when slowing down, and seemed to always happen around 5ish mph. Went through the bleed procedure 2 more times (because it still chirped after first time) when a bubble about an inch long came through the hose at the driver tire. No more chirps. Just a stubborn bubble, I guess.

Rick 432 likes this.
  5. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I am hoping this is the situation with me. My car did not make any noise for three months over 2,000 miles. The a slight chirping should which is getting worse about a month ago. Now when I put my foot on the brake to start the car, I hear the abs motor run for about a second which I did not hear before. Also, the chirping will sound while I am driving, sometimes when I stop and about 3 minutes after the car has been parked. I used an X tool d7 to purge the lines. Frankly, I did not like that scanner. Any suggestions for a better brake bleed would be appreciated. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
    Rick

6. Prius RT

Prius RT Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did the chirping go away?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think air ever does "work its way in" to the brake system; the fluid inside is atmospheric pressure or higher (a lot higher), so any place air could "work" in would instead be a place for fluid to "work" out.

But I do think there can be a bubble left inside from an incomplete bleed, that eventually moves from a place you don't notice to a place where it makes noise or affects braking.

It can also be possible for nitrogen gas from the pressurized accumulator to leak out, creating mystery bubbles in a system that was never opened to let any air in. But that shouldn't be something that happens until the accumulator is pretty old and worn out.