1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 months and no title

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Jul 22, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So we have had our Prius for over 4 months now... and because I'm still a WI resident for all intents and purposes, I had to send in my title and registration forms to them. Well, I got the registration but they're taking their sweet time sending me a title. I'm getting irritated. I have no intention of selling the car, but who happily owns and drives a car without a title to it?

Let's hope nothing happens between now and whenever my title comes that would require me to provide legal proof of ownership, because I'd be screwed....

This is simply ridiclulous!!

Anyone else have extended title wait times?

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"109387)</div>
    I got mine from Toyota within weeks of paying for it... but the funny part was, apparently they screwed up the calculations after I did my deposit and paid the rest (and took delivery). They called me in a panic when they figured out I owed more money. But I'm a nice guy, so I paid up. :)

3. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you buy in your state of legal residence the dealer will do it for you. But I bought here in NC and had to register in WI. So I'm on my own to deal with the massively incompetent DMV.

Wow, you are nice. I would have given them a hard time about that before handing over more money.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    galaxee,

Isn't your car financed? If so, the title was sent to the lienholder, who is the legal (as opposed to the registered) owner of the car. You will received it once the loan is paid in full.

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is, IsrAmeri. But I get a copy of the title that has a clear statement that there is a lienholder and etc. Once the car is paid in full, the lienholder statement is removed from my title. Either way, I should have a title as legal proof of ownership of the car.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"109397)</div>
    I really considered telling them to f'off. They called 2 days after I had my first prius sudden death of doom on Route 1, which is not as fun as it sounds. My loaners were a Scion xA (with no radio) for 3 days and a Camry (with radio) for one day. My opinions of Toyota customer service and reliability weren't and aren't exactly.... good.

But I owed and they were right about the money, so I paid. It's only fair.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"109400)</div>
    Well, it is done differently in CA.

As long as the car is financed, we only get the registration document with a clear notation of both the registered and legal owners in the appropriate places. Once the loan is paid off and the lienholder signed off their interest in the vehicle, we receive a new title (commonly referred to as a Pink Slip and which is virtually identical to the car registration document but for name and color) and a new registration document from the DMV, with the name of the lienholder removed from the legal owner field.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting. Wisconsin doesn't consider a registration form to be a valid proof of ownership. It's just to prove that you paid the $55.00 registration fee, really.

My husband has had a financed car before, so I know the drill with financed cars and titles back home. I was the one who had to do all the paperwork! :roll:

9. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    When I lived in WI (1987-90), the leinholder held the title. Period. I never saw it until the loan was paid in full. (And then I had to request it, too.)

Thanks,
    Shawn

10. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In California we are issued a new Registration Card (and a sticker for the rear license plate) each year when we pay the annual vehicle registration fees. We are required to carry a valid Registration Card in the car at all times. This is the document which is accepted by law enforcement as proof of ownership in case of a traffic stop or when exchanging ownership and insurance information following an accident.

The Certificate of Title is sent to and kept by the financial institution until the loan is paid off. Once I do get those, I keep them in a safe, never in the car.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Same system here. But again, the title is required for proof of ownership.

However, it is not to be kept in the car, with good reason.

I know some of you are insisting I won't get a title. But my husband financed his Saturn and he got a Wisconsin title with a lienholder statement. I have been in contact with the Wisconsin DMV and they insist it is being processed and I should have it "soon"

But they've been saying "soon" for about 2 months.

I know I get a title. I'm just frustrated with having to wait for it. And irritated with this incompetent DMV service.

12. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"109421)</div>
    Well, it is done differently in CA.

As long as the car is financed, we only get the registration document with a clear notation of both the registered and legal owners in the appropriate places. Once the loan is paid off and the lienholder signed off their interest in the vehicle, we receive a new title (commonly referred to as a Pink Slip and which is virtually identical to the car registration document but for name and color) and a new registration document from the DMV, with the name of the lienholder removed from the legal owner field.[/b][/quote]

Sorry, but Califrnia hasn't used "Pinks" in a long time. You get a real Title now. However, you are correct in the fact that all you get is a Registration with a Lein Holder notation until you pay the lien off.

13. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Galaxee: I have purchased about 30 new cars in NC. I don't know about WI, but in NC the only time you have the title is when all liens are satisfied. Proof of ownership is the registration. The same was true when I purchased cars in MO and IL.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst\";p=\"109537)</div>
    I agree. We do get real "Certificate of Title" now. It is multicolored instead of the old pink one. However, it is still commonly referred to as a Pink Slip by those who are at least as old as I am (baby boomer).

15. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"109434)</div>
    :iagree

I agree with IsrA... I don't think you get the TITLE until the car is paid off... I know that was the way it worked on my 95 Dodge when I bought it in Reno, then moved to Denver.. when I paid it off the bank sent me the title... Sherry owned her car and had a Nevada title which we had along with the title to the '51 in a file at home...

In the '70's I worked for Denny's and was a traveling manager... I had expired CA plates on my car and was in Ohio managing a restaurant... I went to the DMV to get plates.. they wanted the title.. I explained that the car was owned by a bank in Georgia... they wanted the title!!!... I called my banker in Georgia and explained the problem (with the dummies in Ohio, from their phone) as the banker was laughing I handed the phone to the DMV person.. and some how they worked it out..

We had a flat bed trailer (for the dragster) with no title that we bought in CA and registered in Nevada... no one said we need a title on it... we came to CO.. again registered it with no problem... we wanted to sell it (no problem) until the guy who wanted to buy it wanted the title... we had a paper trail.. but no title... had to back track all steps and NV gave us the title then CO.. a real pain...

I think you must carry a valid Registration Card in the car at all times and that's it..... no title until the car is paid off :(

Bob Andersen

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think you guys see what I'm saying.

My husband bought a used car and financed it through the local credit union. He got a title that had a lienholder statement on it. Basically, a way for him to say "hey that's my car" but with a big disclaimer on it saying that the bank had rights to it. Once you pay off your car, you send the lienholder release form and your title to the DMV, and they send you a new one, exactly the same, with no lienholder statement.

My stepdad has bought a brand new car every 3 years or less, and has not paid a single one of them off before trading in. He has always had a title for every one of his cars.

sigh...

Guess I'll wait and see. My complaint here was the complete inefficiency of the DMV...

17. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"109599)</div>
    Your DMV may not be that inefficient.

In NJ, you don't get anything with your car except the sticker and whatever financing paperwork you do. No official ownership documents come until the car is sent.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    strange I got a letter then saying "your title will be on the way soon"

ahh forget i said anything.

19. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Please post when you get your title.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I will.. but don't hold your breath. I have sent out another email to check on the processing status... should know more Mon or Tues.