1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 snow tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ValerieG, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ValerieG

ValerieG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, I know there is a thread somewhere about the need for 4 snow tires but I can’t find it.
    SO would someone be so kind as to either tell me why I need FOUR snow tires instead of 2 or point me to the thread. I just don’t understand...:confused:
    Thanks!

2. earthman

earthman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Front wheel drive vehicles just track a lot better with snows all around instead of just on the front. What I mean is the rear part of the vehicle is more likely to follow the front part. Without snow tires the rear end is more likely to break free. Make no mistake, it can still break free with the snow tires on. It's just less likely.

3. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've driven cars with very good winter tires on the front, and std tires on the rear. You go around a corner on any slippery road, and the rear end breaks free and you are now in a spin.
    More to winter driving than just getting thru the snow. Spinning out will happen definitely if all four tires do not have approximately the same traction. And they don't, with good winters on the front and all season on the back.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On older cars without ABS, VSC, etc., any great differences in traction during hard panic braking will tend to cause the tires with the best grip to become the rear tires, regardless of where they are mounted on the car. Most drivers do very poorly when the end they want to be the front, suddenly tries to become the rear.

Emergency handling is much more predictable when all the tires have similar grip.

5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need 4 tires. Don't use different tires with different grip characteristics, leading to different brake front-to-rear balance, and ultimately, poorer braking performance.

6. LeviSmith

LeviSmith Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also agree with the above replies. Did it firsthand with my CRX some years ago. And that wasn't anything as severe as winter tires vs. normal, it was just putting the worn out ones on the rear. Was heading down the highway at about 70mph in some slushy ruts, felt the rear a bit loose, and then WOOSH I was spinning through the median. AMAZINGLY didn't hit anything, and with the good tires on the front it pulled itself out. NOT something I would recommend.

If you're dead set on not buying more than two snow tires, put them on the rear. Won't help you get anywhere, but will be more likely to keep you on the road. Or else put them on the front and never drive more than 5mph...

Car and Driver did a test of it once. It took a LOT of practice before they could get at all used to the quick oversteer... And that was on a skidpad, not roads...

Levi

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    2 people like this.
  8. ValerieG

ValerieG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you this is a great help. Nice easy logical answers.

1 person likes this.
  9. lsyts

lsyts New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wow.. very interesting...I'm glad I have four winter tires. Thanks for the link jayman

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Now you know why I run these factory studded tires on all 4 wheels!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV

At the very least, I can get out of the way when some idiot is sliding towards me. Not sure why folks think 4x4's can have traction on ice, with bald tires