1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4 Snowtires or 2

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by my#7, Feb 19, 2013.

1. my#7

my#7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Any C owners running 4 vs. 2 snowtires?How much mpg loss w/4.

2. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Run 4, regardless of vehicle. That way you maintain equal grip for braking and cornering front and rear. Plus you can rotate them next winter. With that said, I am running 4 studded tires on my 2011 3rd gen and still avgerage mid 40's.

SPH-D710 ? 2

3. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I can't really tell how it influenced my mpg because it also started getting cold. My average difference between warm & cold weather is about 6% more. It doesn't get very cold here so the difference in colder climates would be even more. ⛄

4. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sliding into the ditch gets you zero MPG. Do it right and get a proper set of winter tires.

The combination of winter blend fuel and freezing temps have proven to be way more significant than my winter tires in terms of fuel economy.

B2FiNiTY likes this.
  5. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ditto here... always 4 snow tires. Don't want to loop the rear end of your car around every corner. Not fun.

For the best MPG in Winter... drive extra gently, don't store stuff in the car (keep it light) and check you tire inflation pressure on regular intervals. 10 degrees of temperature drop will lower tire pressure about 1 psi. When looking for snows, make sure you go with the narrowest recommended.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Four snow tires. Anyone and everyone will tell you that. If I'm not mistaken, in some areas police will tell you that too, formally.

As far as mpg, I found it's a wash, between our stock Michelin Pilots in 215/45R17, and (4, on steel rims) Michelin X-Ice2 in 195/65R15.

What a difference a decade makes though: go back a few years, well 30 years I guess, and two snow tires was the norm. I remember coming down a snowy hill with 2 snows on the front of a front wheel drive Civic, feeling the back end starting to come loose. Granted any combo will lose traction eventually, but having snows all 'round can make the difference.

Plus, with all 4 stock tires off, it's a good opportunity to detail them all, and keeps them out of winter conditions.