1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

40 miles till 3rd party warranty expires - hybrid battery failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by herqulees, Mar 6, 2016.

1. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So we bought our 2007 Prius Touring on March 3rd, 2014 with 114,458miles. It came with a 3rd party "ASC Warranty - Deluxe - 36month/36,000miles" which the dealership pretty much required due to us having next to no credit history at the time, and for the most part it hasn't had any issues. Now with 24months and 35,960miles gone by it was driving fine yesterday but today we start it and immediately get the red triangle along with various other lights. I checked for codes and only found one; P0A80.
    Basically my main question is has anyone had this warranty company before and dealt with them? I'm nervous that it's going to be difficult to deal with. It's horribly close to the mileage limit (obviously it will not move another foot till this is sorted out) and the more I read the fine print the less it sounds like they'll cover. "The total of all repairs paid or payable shall not exceed the NADA loan value or vehicle purchase price, whichever is less at time of repair(s)." I can't find anything about hybrid type vehicles, just "Maximum payout on batteries including parts and labor not to exceed $65." We can't afford to be down a vehicle for extended amounts of time, I can't afford to buy a new battery pack and we still owe over $5k on this car. They're closed today so I'm going to be having fun worrying till 8am tomorrow.

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I have never seen an extended warranty policy that covers the hybrid battery.

When we got pushed hard at the time of our Civic Hybrid purchase at the dealership, they swore up and down it was covered. I told them I needed to see it explicitly in writing. After 30 minutes of research/phone calls, they finally came back and told us it wasn't covered. Our battery still had the factory warranty at the time.

I seriously doubt you are covered.

What is your location?

EDIT:

This one?

ASC Warranty

#2 S Keith, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Middle Tennessee. There's a brand new Toyota dealership, appears to now be the closest to my address, so I will be aiming for that IF warranty covers it. If it ends up not being covered... well we'll be seeing how long it can drive like this and how quick I can save money. I'm not going to spend a fortune on it, it uses oil and that bothers me enough to replace it than spend more than $1k on it.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not aware of any State law requiring, any consumer, irregardless of credit, to buy an extended warranty.

Were you not aware that extended warranties are very profitable for dealerships and the insurance companies that write and back these policies? Thus the use of scare/high-pressure tactics to get consumers tombuy them. Next time anyone tries this on you, just say "No," and walk-out. They need you, not the other way around. They do not want to loose the sale. You are in the drivers seat. Kick them to the curb.

See if that insurance company had a policy for hybrids? They probably did and that used car lot sold you an incorrect policy. You may have a case against this used car lot, and might be able to secure a judgement against them.

A NEW Genuine HV Battery from Toyota is your best bet for longevity. You can buy a refurbished/rebuilt Hv Battery from various companies, but thoes don't last. Search online for Toyota dealers sellong online; a small percentage of them do. You might be able to get your local Toyota dealer to match the online dealer price.

North Hollywood and San Bernardino Toyota dealers, in So Cal, only charge $2071 for a new Hv Battery. You will have to will-call pick-up and swap the ECUs from the dead unit, and place into the new unit.
    2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Discounted Toyota and Scion Parts and Accessories
    2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Toyota of San Bernardino Online Parts Store

5. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We needed a car ASAP, it was either be stuck with one car and be unable to find a better job since my schedule had to work with my fiance's schedule or find a car that's fuel efficient, cheap, cheap to insure, and reliable. A Prius fit all of those and this one was a grand less than others because of the (IMO) hideous baby blue color. :ROFLMAO: Needless to say this car was an emergency life improving decision and in no way a perfectly planned execution.
    I probably could have talked them into letting us buy it without warranty, but they (their financing company) were ready to turn us down unless we either paid a higher amount up front or got a warranty. I did research the dealership a bit before heading there and found a lot of good things yet no (valid sounding) bad things. We worked together a deal of spreading out the down payment over one month along with getting a warranty, basically they let us have it for a month before starting the monthly payments so we could save up a bigger down payment and I could start my better paying job. I know most dealerships are shady, but this guy made sense of everything. They'd give us a better APR to offset the cost of the warranty and for them it helps them make sure if the car breaks down it'll be back up and running and not cost a fortune for us to repair, thus making us unable to make our payments.

But getting back on the issue... basically if the warranty doesn't cover the hybrid battery I'm going to have to drive it a bit longer, yet avoid its use as much as possible while saving up a down payment to get a newer one and trade this one in. I've estimated we owe approximately $3300 still. So trading it in isn't out of the question, and after two years of on time payments and one year having a well managed credit card compared to two years ago I had no credit report at all I expect a better APR by now.

Merged

That's the correct company and coverage sheet, it came with the Deluxe package.

#5 herqulees, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  6. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's not covered under warranty, you might consider reconditioning your existing battery. Our products will do it in one weekend, without removing the battery from the car, and they are only $399. Often, reconditioning alone is enough for another year or two. If not, you can replace the failed modules for ~$60 each and still get the car fixed and back on the road for around $500.

S Keith likes this.
  7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A traction battery with a failing cell isn't going to get you very far. At least the warranty will cover the tow to the dealer. Toyota may offer some goodwill if you are not in a CARB state.

It sounds like you should keep an eye on your credit report. Creditkarma is free.

8. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mean it won't run much longer like this? I thought it would just get bad MPG and fail emissions, yet still drive for a good while longer.

Unfortunately while the dealership was great, and at the current moment is going from boss to boss trying to work out a way to help me after I gave them our pity story this morning with how we've only had it two years and suddenly it needs thousands in repairs, the financing company has not treated us well. So yeah I got screwed. I've paid almost $9k in two years, and I owe a little over $9k still. On a car that was only $10k, yet somehow this was a 16.9% loan. They are mailing me a copy of everything now along with their fine print so I can figure out Wth happened to inflate it like this, but I already know I'm not going to win that one. Just hopefully this dealership is as great as everyone says they are and offers to help somehow, free battery would be awesome, but that's a stretch to say the least.

9. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was the one smart thing I checked before signing anything, I verified there's no penalty for paying off early.
    After 24 payments of $364.70 I still owe $9391.47. Just got off the phone with the dealership about an hour ago, the nice and friendly trying to be helpful people were replaced with a guy who very firmly said "I'm sorry but there's nothing we can do." so that's another door shut. Called the Toyota dealer and talked with a guy there for awhile, didn't get anywhere with a discount or some other sort of help either, just that they have one battery in stock for $2588.67 plus tax and it includes a glorious 12month warranty.
    I may try repairing the battery myself, however how does that price sound to you guys? Cheap? Expensive? I can easily replace it myself. No matter what I'm in upside down on this car, transferring $9k to a new auto loan along with a newer car that's probably another $10k doesn't sound like a wise decision no matter my age or credit score. Might try going to the dealer in person and see if I can talk/beg them into a discount. Mondays suck...

10. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While I'm very interested, does anyone have any experience with these chargers? I can't find anywhere online with a few quick searches any reviews or videos, which seems odd to me. Not saying your product is bad, just I can barely afford to spend $400 and would like some reassurance before considering to do so.

11. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They said they will mail out everything about my loan with details of every payment I've made, every fee that's on there, and so on. So I guess in the next couple days I will be able to give more, but for now all I know is it was a loan of $13727.00, in 24months I've paid a total of $8752.80 ($364.70/month), it's a 16.9% loan, and my "pay off balance" is $9391.47. Sure wish they had taught this stuff in school.

12. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well that's my bad then as I was going off of estimates when I started the thread yesterday and got numbers mixed around when I got exact information. Having someone else tell me the info sounds correct is at least good to hear, despite not wanting to hear it.

13. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sure no worries, I understand. There are scores of comments from our customers on eBay (don't buy there we charge more due to sellers fees):
    eBay Feedback Profile for hybridautomotive

We also post feedback emails we receive from customers on our FB page:
    Hybrid Automotive LLC

We are going to add our products to Amazon soon, maybe in 3-4 weeks. While that is not done yet, Hopefully the other links will help
    :)

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd still take a shot at calling Toyota Customer Service and pleading your case. It doesn't cost anything to try.

Statistically, a brand new battery (regardless of the length of the warranty) is going to last longer than a rebuild using old cells. I know money's tight and and one can only do what one can do.

Have you downloaded the 2007 sales booklet and verified that the car is a Touring? It will have a larger spoiler, 16" wheels, foglights & HID headlights.

Is your (or SO's) employer affiliated with a Credit Union? If so talk to them about refinancing.

15. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an update to everyone here, my fix ended up being trading it in for a 2014 Prius Two. Dealership gave me a deal that at my age I in no way would find again after talking over prices for days with them, in the end they gave me $4600 for mine since it was fairly clean and managed to drive to their dealership under its own power, which covered almost half of what I owe on it, and when I was still ready to walk out after seeming like I could never get the monthly payment low enough they dropped it all the way to 6.6% APR compared to the 16.9% I was paying before.
    I did start to try going the battery reconditioning route but just couldn't deal with the idea of owning another untrustworthy car, I already have a 97 Jeep for that. While as this has a 10year/100k mile Toyota warranty on the battery and a lifetime Toyota warranty on everything else.
    Thanks to everyone that helped though!

Old in front, new in back. So much better looking. Both in color and styling.
    IMG_20160313_142637.jpg