1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

40 years of Macintosh

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jan 27, 2024.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source Design News:

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    First delivery of Macs to Dartmouth College 1984, of which one I purchased.

I seem to not be able to add the jpg image. Just imagine 6 U Haul trucks crossing Ledyard Bridge over Connecticut River.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The JPG trick is to post it in an open forum and use the URL to here.

Bob Wilson

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Many people using that trick have been choosing 'open' forums that apparently aren't open enough to show the image to me.

Since the PriusChat migration, it has just become a bit harder to upload images here. The snazzy JavaScript-based upload feature is busted. The bare-bones image upload ability that you get when you turn JavaScript off works fine.

So there are still pretty good reasons for uploading images here rather than sticking them someplace else and dropping links here: keeps the stuff together, and runs less risk of readers not being able to see what you wanted because the someplace-else you chose isn't as open as you thought. But, of course, it involves turning JavaScript off for a moment, and learning a different couple steps for uploading.

So it presents a choice between a little extra burden for the poster, or the poster imposing a little extra burden over and over on many future readers.

A little rule of thumb that was suggested to me in school was if I'm wanting other people to read or pay attention to something for me, I ought to put substantially more time into preparing it than they'll need to put in to read or watch it. So that also kind of weighs in favor of continuing to put images right here, even if it has become a little more involved for the poster.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    What's an open forum? :)

Anyway just pic of trucks crossing a bridge. Not of great historical signif. I don't recall what I paid but it was below retail. Quantity discount for Dartmouth. And it worked until I needed more power.

May have told here before that Mac had not spreadsheet which I needed immediately. So I hired a real computer person to emulate spreadsheets on Kiewit's mainframe. Others made good money bringing spreadsheets to the masses, but I did not jump to change paths. Oh well.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i didn't catch on with mac until the 90's when our kids were in school. started with a hyundai

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    May not be mentally supple enough to toggle Java. When I have an image y'all need to see I'll give it a go.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Actually I used both Apple and IBM (ish) products until the latter provided a comparable GUI for lots less money.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Obligatory quibble: Java ≠ JavaScript. Two entirely different, unrelated languages, developed apart.

Some folks make a valiant effort at calling the latter ECMAScript to avoid the misleading sound-alike to Java, but it hasn't caught on.

bwilson4web likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first mac I bought was in.....2020? '21?

I tell people that this is due to my failings as a father, a husband and a grandfather, but like my President sometimes I tell stories that are not 100-percent based in truth.
    My mac purchase was inspired by my desire to keep my CFO in the 'walled garden' - but my Damascus Road moment came when my Southern Baptist preacher pounded his fist on the lectern (VERY atypically!) and it set off his Apple Watch.
    Since I often work, alone, on nights and weekends, aloft on ladders - this set wheels a spinning.
    Since Apple uses a 1980's General Motors inspired "planned obsolescence' corporate culture, I was forced to pair my apple watch to an i-phone thing - which I did not have at the time.
    The rest?
    Well.....
    Apple is the company that I love to hate and hate to love. :unsure:
    Two lasting benefits are that apples have a loooooong shelf life since their owners are constantly upgrading and big-A discovered the secres sauce of SE devices.
    The other lasting bennie is that I'm no longer tier-1 tech support for my CFO.
    She now has the interwebs and my sweet daughter.

SO....
    I now have 2 i-cloud accounts (IYKYK) and...all the things.
    watch
    2 phones
    tablets
    and.....finally, a Mac for my sweet CFO.
    Not my first.....jkust the first one I BOUGHT.

The first time I USED a mac was in 1992, because I worked for dot.gov at the time and they employed people that would rather sell their children into slavery than use a PC.
    It's now easier to own an Apple device than ever before, since REAL smart devices are as bloated and closed off as the apples ever were - but now....apples are the FIRST devices that hackers pick to ply their trade.

Talent always goes where the money is..... ;)

#10 ETC(SS), Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024