1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

40amp 12v outlet mod/upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by problemchild, May 15, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Among a few of the things on this car that need upgrading are the 12v outlet. The stock wires that feed the 12v outlet are the size of a Yak hair. Im thinking two cell phone chargers would almost overload it.

When I go camping I usually have two 3 way splitters plugged into it making 5 sockets available. I might have two battery chargers, 2 cell phones, a small sine inverter for my laptop, a radar detector etc. The stock outlet is less then adequate.

Sooooo I decided to upgrade it. I bought a 40 amp socket and mega wire with 40 amp fuse. Heres a picture before the install. Im running straight to the battery with one 40amp fuse in line.

Attached Files:

• 12v.jpg
      12v.jpg
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
  2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    UPDATE AND INSTALL PICS

I got the chance to get this done tonight. I ran some big mofo wires from the battery to the new high output 12v power outlet. I made up some ends and crimped them on.

Heres the install pics.

Attached Files:

3. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    didn't know u could do that very nice!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I see you like to get away from it all when you camp. :)

Tom

5. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't care who ya are, that's damn funny right there!! :cell::ballchain::pound:

6. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank my bad back for that. I used to hike 29 miles in and snow cave it. Those days are long gone. Now I car camp. I used to camp with a truck I set up for expeditions but with diesel being 5/gallon I had to sell it.

New Page 1

[​IMG]

7. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No snow in the tires, whadya do? Airlift the truck in??

Must be alot of midgets where you live, with such short traffic signs, it's no wonder you had to get out to read it.

-_-

8. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sun melted the snow while I ate lunch. I almost didnt make it out as the top snow turned to slush. I think the sign was about 4 feet high as there was aprox 3 feet of snow.