1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

40G campaign - new hybrid battery at 184,000, FREE!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by depriusoto, Feb 17, 2013.

1. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm helping my niece buy her first car and a 2002 came up for sale today here in Albuquerque. Seller advertised that it has a new hybrid battery. Yup, it was installed in November at one of the dealers here. It was replaced as part of the 40G campaign! Looking at service records on line at the Toyota Owners site there is no record of the car ever getting the service back when it first came out. At the time the car was being serviced by the Santa Fe dealership.
    Car has 186,000 and a free new big battery. I wish I knew the back story on this!

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I don't know we're going to have any details on this particular car.

An older car comes with the risk of unplanned maintenance. If you and your daughter are willing to deal with the risks and handle problems that might show up, OK. But there won't be any warranty and repairs can be interesting.

Our NHW11 (2001-03) Prius has over 150,000 miles and I'm using it to test E85. I'm also installing a solar panel, 12V trickle charger. But then I've got nearly eight years of hands-on Prius experience including the shop manuals and tools. We also have a backup, 2010 Prius approaching 36,000 miles.

A lot of weaknesses in the NHW11 were fixed in the NHW20 (2004-09) and if you can find one for a competitive price, it might be a better solution for a non-technical owner. It has more power so it works better at highway speeds:
    [​IMG]
    Our NHW11 mileage falls off above 65 mph. In contrast, the NHW20 holds excellent mileage up to 85 mph . . . not that I recommend such speeds. We get 52 MPG with both of our Prius but the NHW11 only by driving 65 mph or slower which still evades my lead-footed wife.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson