1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

40GB HDD Navigation (European Model) questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vagabund, Apr 12, 2010.

1. vagabund

vagabund New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I am to believe the brochure, our Prius comes with a "40GB Navigation system", as all Executive models. When we took delivery of the car, we cheched the HDD capacity: "70% used". This audio system rips your CDs into the HDD (it takes about 4'15'' to rip a 52' disc). I don't know if music is encoded as MP3, ACC...

I haven't read any discussions on this audio system for the 2010 European Model, although an owner from the UK mentioned a 10GB system in this thread.

Now a couple of questions:

• What is the quality/bitrate used to rip the CDs by this audio system? (choices are "High and Low quality" - so far I'm only ripping with the HQ setting). It would be nice to have an idea of how many CDs / tracks I can store!
    • Do you lose the stored music when you upgrade the SatNav information and the CDDB database?

Note: I am not referring to the optional TNS510

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok I did a search and I thought it was mentioned here before. I recall the number 128 for the bitrate. The problem is that I don't remember if that's high or low (I've got a suspicion it's high which is kinda sad).

3. vagabund

vagabund New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Tideland. I just found this review from the British CNet: "[...] Tracks can be ripped from a CD to a 40Gb hard drive, though 30GB of that is reserved for satellite mapping data. [...]". Maybe my system had actually "70% used" rather than free. I'd be embarrased to have post wrong information. Will check and come back.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's most likely "used". Most HDD-equipped cars have 10GB of storage space free for music.

5. vagabund

vagabund New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally I got the Navigation manual (it wasn't delivered with the car) and therewith all the information needed about audio compression rates and compatibility:
    - Standard compression 128 kbps
    - High quality 256 kbps
    (the manual doesn't specify if the bitrate is constant (CBR) or variable (VBR).

It also makes clear that the unit will only read CD or CD-R formatted as Iso 9660/Joliet. You can play a multisession CD, but the unit will only read the first session. The manual also clarifies compatibility with ID3 tags for MP3 files.

The widely available PDF manual of the US Prius does not appear to have the information about compression rates.

Now, enjoy your sound system!

2 people like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's because have a DVD-based system with no hard drive storage for mp3s.

7. SorinMS

SorinMS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i saw a connection plug on it. what type of cable is it?

8. Danger

Danger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can the HDD unit be used on US models?