1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

40K for Prius on Ebay!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TimeFor, Oct 13, 2004.

1. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

I was search for Prius parts and I found this listing on ebay...

Get this... Bid starts at 40K. :roll:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=43925

and... if your in the market for a new Batt. There are two listed on ebay right now.

One even has a 60 day warranty.
    :wink:

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    40k for a prius.. it's worth it.. but that's just sick... on the other hand.. if my job goes under and i can't make car payments.. i know i can sell it for a profit.. lol. j/k.. i would work till my death to keep my prius. :)

3. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't even have the navigation option!

4. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    does too.. read the window sticker.. i thought it didn't too.. but this is a 2005

5. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For $40,000 the seller could have taken a picture of the real car... he also states that it's just been driven off the dealers lot...soooo where'd the 800 miles come from... "but we just took it for a little spin"

Bob Andersen

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its hybrid hype gone mad@!!@

my sister works for the local ford dealer and they got their first hybrid in. it was sold in 3 hours. it went so fast, she never even got a chance to take a look at the inside. she wanted to see how similiar the ford was to my car since i told her that ford licensed some of the hybrid technology from Toyota.

but thats not the kicker. they sold it for $10,000 over sticker@!!!

7. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"45131)</div>
    Thats crazy! I wish Toyota step in to control this madness :roll:

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

It is not crazy, it's perfectly normal in a seller's market. This is capitalism in action, fair and square.

9. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Hmmm. We are next on the list for a 2005 and the 2004 will have to go.

There is still a 1 year wait for Prii in Michigan.

I find this topic... interesting.

10. guyboston

guyboston New Member

I walked out of the dealership in Raynham Massachusetts after the sales manager told me he was selling all of them at $5000 over sticker.

I went to the dealer in Brockton, MA the next day and was given my choice of 4 cars coming in within 6 weeks. I picked one, left a $100 deposit (I had brought $500 but they didn't want to have to deal with excess cash on a Sunday afternoon) and 5 DAYS later the car arrived and I drove it off the lot last Friday night with 1 mile on the odometer.

I paid sticker price.

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"45131)</div>
    The buyer has $$ where his/her brain should be. It isn't capitalism/supply/demand. It is instant gratification, "first on my block" stupidity.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well if people are willing to pay then i say let them!!

they pay for gasoline dont they??? that is the area where someone should step in!!

we hear news of $54 a barrel for gas, well the recent $2+/gal price of gas was not justified by the price of oil. most of the price increase was because of bad news and the war, not the price of oil.

believe it or not, when hummers first came out there were reports of people paying 10-20,000 premiums for them too, that is in addition to the $100,000+ price tag.

13. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    [sarcasm on] They (the 40K Prius buyers) are REALLY going to have to kick nice person in the MPG dept. to make up the cost difference between buying a 'regular' car and the Prius. Sheesh, don't these people read and believe the money mags hype! [sarcasm off]. Drive fun, drive clean, drive (MSRP) Prius! :p

14. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's the old supply and demand concept...just like when the PT Cruiser first came out...

We showed our daughter our '04 Prius this weekend and she loved it! The next day she and her husband went to the local dealer in Winston-Salem and saw a Salsa Red '05 with the package 6( Loaded with Navi?). The salesman told them it was sold, but they could go on the waiting list, they only had 40 names at this time...after they looked at the sticker, they said no...the car was listed at 29,500. I told her that's about 4K over MSRP...she said the stealer told them they were selling for that price, no problem....I was shocked. I only saw one Prius, a classic, while we were down there....amazing...

I guess the stealers love it when they can have the "buy it at my price, or leave it, I'll sell it to the next person that walks in", attitude....sheesh...

:cussing:

15. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

You guys just need to buy Cars here in SoCal. Just about everyone here is paying MSRP. Its not expensive to ship a car when you look at the alternative of 5K over.

Not to mention we get our cars in around a month or two where other states are six months and greater.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe this thread drew so much interest. This guy won't get a single bid. He wouldn't get a bid at $35k...and probably none at $30k as it is technically used and no one can get the tax deduction, etc.

This is just silly.

17. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The whole point is that he's free to ask for $40,000 and someone out there's free to pay that amount if he wants to do so.

I don't understand why there's so much objection to an action that's at the very core of our capitalism. If you want price controls try... Cuba or North Korea?

Heck, if you owned a Toyota dealership and people were in line to buy the car over msrp, would you insist on charging less? Come on, get real. This is about making money, not about distributing Prii for the well being of people or the environmet.

18. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember hearing about a Prius selling for 38K if the right people see it, they will buy it. It's also not only about making up the cost. This car has a lot more than any other car around it's price can offer. Plus, it's clean. The only car that comes close to being as clean is the Insight. I believe they put out the same emission numbers.

I also think this is perfectly normal. Like i said before, if my financing falls short, i'll try to sale my car over the loan amount existing to pay it off.

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    None of the ebay auctions are closing this high anymore - not since the first half of the year. He won't get a bid.