1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$40K Price tag- Fair Guess for initial roll-out?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by coach81, May 7, 2011.

1. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So if a "top of the line" Gen III Prius V goes for about $35K right now....

Is is safe to assume that an "initial roll out price" for the new PHV Plug-ins will be in the neighborhood of $40K depending on how equipped?

Keep in mind the volt is just a few thousand more...

Is $40K a pretty close price tag???? Or am I way off???

BTW current asking price for my local dealer for a '11 III model-$31,202.00

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it'll be a hair above $30k but stripped down to a level II-III.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are off by about $10,000. I don't think they will add the PHEV package to a V. It would price itself out of the market.

1 person likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The only hint on pricing I have heard from Toyota is that they want to make the plug-in a feature that Prius customers have to think about to pass up. My interpretation of the statement is that Toyota will try to price the feature so that over time it pays for itself.

Over how many years ? No idea
    On which models ? No idea. In the past Toyota covered some of the cost of hybrid tech by forcing consumers to pay for high baseline features and I expect this to continue. So I personally very much doubt the plug-in will be added to a base Prius.

My WAG ? $25k after tax credit for the least expensive trim.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, the regular Prius is no longer eligible for Federal Tax Credit and the Plug-In will be eligible for tax credit. That should make Prius vs. Prius plug-In bottom line very competitive.

1 person likes this.
  6. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much is tax credit going to be again?

7. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Last I heard was they were thinking about $2000 over MSRP for the comparable model Prius, in April - from a 3rd party related to Toyota....but they have a year to change that also....

8. cashcorn

cashcorn New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With Tesla rolling out there sedan in 2012 for 49k and a range of 160 miles on a full charge. I think the competion is starting to work in our favor.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless that's an OTR price for a III with nav, solar, tinting, aftermarket leather and an upgraded stereo, when you eventually buy, I suggest that you buy from somewhere else and let them know why.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Let's see...
    GM Volt is $7500 for 16 kwh,
    So the PHV will presumably be 5.3/16 of 7500 = $2500.

My WAG includes the tax credit.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    why waiting again? why PHV?

coach81: I'm curious, what were/are your reasons for holding off buying a Prius again? I don't have your previous posts committed to memory but I do remember you took a test drive of a Gen 3 prior to the disaster in Japan but yet held off on buying, for some reason. Of course, there was no way to predict the disaster.

I know you've mentioned that your peers do/will make fun of you but I don't see how that'll change much/at all w/a PHV Prius. Unfortunately, now due to the Japan production situation, shortages and high gas prices, it's currently not a good time to buy.

Is there a reason why you're so fixated on the PHV now? If you really want a Prius, you don't need to wait for the PHV or keep posting wanting one or the other. You can dump your Frontier now and say goodbye to its poor gas mileage.

Electric Power Monthly - Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State says your state has cheap electricity. However, the article at http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-phv-plug-in/89834-sae-article-prius-phv.html points out that the annual net gasoline savings won't be that high (if that plays any role). But, if you're willing/wanting to pay for sharply reduced gasoline consumption since you've mentioned your commutes are short...

12. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: why waiting again? why PHV?

Reasons I held off- Did not want to get into another car note, truck running fine (and still is thank goodness).

I realize that now is not a good time to buy... I'm not looking to buy now.. perhaps in another two years??? I.E. - the PHV??? Also in two years my oldest will be 15... perhaps I can give him the Frontier and Dad can have his new plug-in toy ;)

By the end of 2012 I will probably average 10-12 mile trips or shorter with a projected new job that I will start (after I retire from 20 years of teaching/coaching in the public school system). So the idea of rarely if ever buying gas again.. is very appealing to me-along with all the other cool things about the Prius-.. I do realize that electricity is far from free.. but I've heard the savings can/will be up to half or more from what gas costs (pushing $4 now), that would be very, very nice!!!

I do realize that the same criticisms that I got over the test drive will still be there, the plug-in will not change that.. but I will just let them know that I still have my truck, and I just LIKE MY ELECTRIC CAR!!!! If they don't like it.. then they will have to deal with it.. including my wife!!!!

What is my obsession with this vehicle??? It's seems to be an itch that just will NOT GO AWAY :p

Thanks for your interest.. concern.. and the conversation....

13. Satch

Satch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hybridcars.com reports a tax credit of $2500 for the PHV

14. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think they'll slip above $40,000, they saw the PR nightmare that turned into w/ GM.

I do expect there will be a long list of included standard tech that might otherwise be optional, at least in the initial launch.

I think $34-36,000 after tax rebate to be a fair guess.

15. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

So if you go for a "decked out" PHV... it will be at least $40K...

16. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure if they offer it as an option on a Prius 5, that a $40,000 MSRP with options is entirely possible, but hopefully that will be a buyer's choice and not a forced one.

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

They said they hope 3k over the Prius.... what does that mean? 3k in production costs? 3k after rabate? Who knows...

But i think that if you consider II is 24k then PHV will be 27k after rabate, the most...

18. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As has been stated by others on this site.. the higher the price tag.. the more one has to consider "is it worth it or "am I really saving anything?".

Once you get above 25K (IMHO) you have to ask yourself why buy this car and get a few more miles to the gallon.. when I can buy a car with good fuel economy for 10K or more cheaper???

I.E. you can buy a LOT OF GAS.. for 10K..

I know the other "green aspects" of the argument..but for someone that is strictly looking at the "bottom line figures".. it is something to consider...

If the PHV flirts with a $30 - $40K price tag.. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say.. we will probably look elsewhere.... IMHO

19. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But thats exactly what Toyota has promised, that it will be priced where consumers will really have to think about it, if it were a slam dunk no-brainer no one would have to think about it (conversely if it were prohibitively expensive the same would be true).

20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My opinion (current value < $0.02) is that the PHV will be offered initially in mostly up-optioned models. They're really big on the up-sell, which is why a G3 starts out life as a $24,000 car and rockets very quickly to $35,000.
    Once the PHV emerges from its loooooooooooong gestation period there will be environmental-chic buyers lined up to buy them. Add to this the possibility of its qualifying for HOV stickers and gas prices that will probably still be elevated, and I just don't see the folks in Aichi building many base model PHVs.
    Toyota may say that the PHV will be price competitive, (the MFD says that I’m getting 53-MPG!, but we all know that’s not really the case!) but any serious look at TCO for a PHV will quickly reveal that even a base model won't save you anything monetarily.
    I'm glad that they're tinkering with it for reasons environmental, but for the next few years, the PHV is just going to be a play-pretty for well heeled environmental geeks. Time and competition will put downward pressure on PHVs---so we’ll all be winners, eventually.

Short answer: $35K+ in the first year or two---depending on bling content. $40,000 models will be probably offered initially, just to hook the folks who want to be the first kids on the block to have one.