1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$40K Smart EV: Is it ready for the3 U.S. ?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by hill, Feb 20, 2007.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    On again off again smart Ev: I've been hearing about it for years. Small though it is, I wouldn't mind trading in my hybrid, if I felt it was "for real". The builders seem to say it's ready. Only catch? Lots of dough. Anybody want to weigh in?

http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/smartcar_order.php

2. azguy

azguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Feb 20 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]393628[/snapback]</div>
    This is what I found interesting on their WEB site

"Hybrid Technologies, Inc. holds the licensing agreements for all two, three and four-wheeled vehicles, as well as Lithium/Solar power system technology for residential and commercial properties. "

What does this mean???

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azguy @ Feb 20 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]393636[/snapback]</div>
    Can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it referes to other 'vehicles' they make, namely electric 2 & 3 wheel bikes. The spot on 'Regis & Kelly" (ABC) looked pretty nifty (somewher on their website) that dealt with the smartcar. Man! ... after you add AC and maybe a few extra miles of battery life, you REALLY got an expensive EV ... if you didn't think $40k was already. Didn't see anything about a warrany ... just a claim of 1,500 recharges.

4. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Feb 20 2007, 10:13 PM) [snapback]393661[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, that's less than 5 years of daily use, with nightly recharge. That's assuming the innate aging of the li-ion battery doesn't kill it sooner. No sale here, given that. That's consistent with (actually better than) some other auto Li-ion applications being marketed now. Of the three companies offering Prius PHEV conversions, one offers a 2 year warranty on the battery (Hymotion), the others offer no warranty at all. Other posters have suggested that longer-lived li-ion traction batteries are on the way and will be available in the near future, based on lithium-manganese and other chemistries. But from what I can tell, if you get a car built today with Li-ion batteries, that's the kind of life expectancy you get.

The implicit price of the 80 mile battery pack is $15K, given that the incremental 40 mile pack is $7500. So, if it lasts 5 years, that $3K/year in battery wear, before you factor in any other cost.

OK, maybe I'm being a little pessimistic. It's a question of whether the aging of the li-ion battery would kill it before the charge cycles would. If the battery didn't age, you'd get as much as 80*1500 = 120,000 miles. But most (all?) current-gen li-ion batteries simply age, independent of recharge cycles. So, they need to specify a warranty in terms of years and miles before I'd consider it.

Gives an interesting datapoint though -- that itty bitty car requires 500 lbs of li-ion batteries? The EV1 only required half a ton of lead-based batteries when it was first built, less using NiMH, and had about that range. So, something doesn't quite square up, for me. I thought li-ions were vastly lighter than that.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Feb 21 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]393861[/snapback]</div>
    Another take (aside from battery life) is certification from the U.S. department of transportation. Sellers have to crash a bunch of their vehicles before the DOT signs off on it. Nothing in the article from what I can find, that says this requirement was, or is in processs of being done. Perhaps it's delivered as a kit to avoid DOT requirements, like the Tango? $40,000.00 seems high for something that comes "assembly required". Still, it's cheeper than the Tango.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm getting tired of hearing about cars that are "going to be available some day."

I don't mean I'm tired of threads on PC about these cars. I mean I'm tired of manufacturers making promises that never materialize.

First one to market gets my business. But it has to be safe, freeway-capable, and go at least 100 miles on a charge.

Oh, yes, and it's got to come out before I'm too old to drive a car!