1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

40th Anniversary of Six Day War

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Jun 5, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Forty years ago, at exactly this hour, the war was over - essentially. The rest is history. Here is the first paragraph of an excellent and short editorial from the NY Daily News:

[http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2007/06/05/2007-06-05_six_days_and_40_years.html]

"Forty years ago this morning, Israel took decisive military action to stave off annihilation promised by a belligerent Arab world led by Egypt's Gamal Abdel Nasser. In just six miraculous days, Defense Minister Moshe Dayan destroyed the armies and air forces of three Arab states and tripled the land under Israeli control. And since then, Israel's leaders - Menachem Begin, Yitzhak Rabin and Ariel Sharon - made brave choices to preserve a peace. But on the Arab side - save for Anwar Sadat, who paid with his life - peacemakers have been few.

For the Israeli-Arab conflict has never been about land. Not in 1948, not in 1956, not in 1967, not today. It is about the refusal of too many Arabs to live in the same world with the Jewish state that history made their neighbor."

I agree with the premise that there has been a lack of peace-makers from Israel's neighbors - that if they really wanted peace they would not have amassed their armies in May and June of 1967 when they had their "original" borders - borders they want to return to today - and for the most part borders Israel wants to return.

Today, Jerusalem remains a city open to people of ALL religions to visit - something that could not be said prior to June 5, 1967.

Today the Gaza Strip is in Palesinian control - the results of wish are far less than Israel had hoped for when they gave it back to the Palestinians two years ago.

Today Israeli troops are no longer in Southern Lebanon - unrelated to the Six Day War but evidence of Israel's desire for peace and willingness to accept UN guarantees again and again for peace in return for land. Note how Nassar kicked out the UN from the Sinai following the 1956 disengagement agreements that assured Israel peace via UN protected borders - and the continued FAILURE of the UN to live up to these agreements time after time -but a continued willingness from Israel to return land for the HOPE of peace.

Witness Israel's offering of returning the West Bank to the Palestinians via Oslo.

Where are the Palestinian and Arab peace makers? Where are their peace offerings? What have they done to sue for peace?

It has been forty years since the miracle of the Six Day War - and unfortunately the prospect of war is greater than that of peace - sad.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Figures you would be proud of this.

Fact: There were no plans for an armed attack from the Arabs at the time.
    Fact: Israel started the war against her neighbors.
    Fact: 21,779 people were killed. 47,563 were wounded. 6,015 were taken prisoner.

Fact: Israels military strength was equal to that of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia.

This is something that should be mourned, not trumpeted to support your own political agenda.

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 5 2007, 09:10 AM) [snapback]455606[/snapback]</div>
    I guess Nasser figured that since the Israelis wouldn't allow peacekeeping troops on their side of the protected borders, why should they?

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 5 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]455625[/snapback]</div>
    your facts and fiction are mixed up

who closed the straights to israeli shipping and when - that being an act of war by itself?
    who ordered the UN peacekeeping force out of the sinai and when?
    who amassed troops on israels borders and how many?
    israel had the same number of planes and tanks and men as the arab armies surrounding her??

you must be using wikepedia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 5 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]455639[/snapback]</div>
    the UN peacekeepers where there since what year and how was the agreement structured as to their location?

another wikepedia fan

how did those un peacekeepers in souther lebanon do last summer too? did not the un guarantee israel peace when she left southern lebanon in 2000??

5. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know why i bother... I should know by now that trolls are hard of hearing!

I post quotes from the Israeli Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister stating that they had no doubts that there were no planned attacks against them, and that they started it, and yet my facts and fiction are mixed up?

If you dispute this fact Berman, please tell us what the actual numbers were at the time:
    Israeli military strength: 314,000 soldiers

Egypt: 150,000
    Syria: 75,000
    Jordan: 55,000
    Saudi Arabia: 20,000
    Total: 300,000

That, combined with what Jonnycat said pretty much completely covers your poor attempt at a "rebuttal"

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 5 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]455703[/snapback]</div>
    I dont know why i bother. You believe these numbers in terms of troops? tell me, the population of israel was about 3 million at the time - correct? The population of the surrounding countries not including countries that had sent troops to mass on israel's borders (an act that would make one worry especially coupled with other actions) was what - around 100 million - so you are telling me israel had more troops than the surrounding countries - and and what % of those were reservists vs. active troops?

tell me - the number of combat aircraft the arabs had were what - over 800 - correct? israel had around 200 - correct? so there was a 4:1 ratio against insrael - correct?

tell me - the number of tanks the arabs had vs the quantity israel had?

at least this was a fair fight compared to 1948 when the arabs INVADED and ATTACKED israel the day it was founded by the UN - there israel did not have one plane one tank - nothing - and they still kicked their asses. pathetic.

anyway - you are funny - a fair fight - 3 million vs 100+ million - boy i would hate to see your other definitions of fair fighting :lol:

q? was israel ever at a disadvantage - the yom kippur war?? do you think the arabs were fair in attacking israel on the holiest of days?

7. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You seem to jump subjects and areas so often i can hardly keep track... I don't have anything against Israel, I never said they were always at fault. all i did was point out some very faulty assumptions you made in your original post. I don't have comments for the other incidents you mentioned, i haven't researched them at all. However, there is the classic quote "all's fair in love and war", so i'm not entirely sure about your question of "fairness". is it "fair" for the Us to have so many WMD's and yet not allow other countries to acquire them? from a strict issue of fairness, it's not, but thats not how we measure things here in the real world.

So by your reasoning a war between the US (300 million people) and China (1.3 billion), the US would be at a huge disadvantage, no?

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe that Israel can do whatever she deems necessary for its survival in the middle east. They have the power and the technology and they are a democratic nation. They certainly are a militarilt mature nation and can handle its own affairs and conflicts. They have the nuke while none of her foes do.

That being said, let's hand over Iraq to her. She can also deal with Iran too. They're certainly more adept than the US in this type of affair. We've paid our dues in the middle east, let Israel deal with that mess now.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 5 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]455752[/snapback]</div>
    you conveniently add israels active and reserve forces and then you compare it only to active arab army #'s - why. Add arab army reserves into your total to get the real picture. add the fact that lbj stated he was not going to help israel while the russians were actively helping their arab allies. israel , alone, outnumbered on every front - its shipping cut off -- armies massing around it - calls for its destruction..... anyhow - we know where you stand.

fairness in love and war is preventing your enemies the capacity to destroy you or inflict grevious losses - so yes - prevent iran from going nuclear all the way - just like france agrees with and most other sane countries. btw - what did arhmadineijad just call for again yesterday or say - something about destroying israel again - i thought that was at least against the UN's operating protocol - but you would let him get a nuke so he could wipe out israel - or try to - cool.

and yes, we will be at a huge disadvantage with china if we were to get into a conventional war with them - heck we cant even as a nation get the will up to take on a country the size of iraq - how do you think the dems would do if a war against china? they would be calling for an immediate withdrawl to israel or something - a country where the libs and conservatives understand conflict and survival and threats much better than we do here.

back to iran - we should use our advantage while we can - b4 they get a nuke - then the playing field is even .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 5 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]455762[/snapback]</div>
    yes they do have nukes - est. 200-400 at the least - and they have cruise missiles, subs, aircraft and land to land missiles to launch them.

they would have handled iraq differently i think then we have - but maybe not with olmert at the helm - he could not even find the testosterone to defeat hezbullah that little lib him. his approval rating last time i checked was 3% - within the marging of error of having no one like him except his peacenik loving wife and the other loons on the far far left - the few dozen that are left of them - fewer and fewer as more and more missiles rain down on their head from lands recently given back to the palestinians for nothing in return except for the hope of peace....

10. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 5 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]455776[/snapback]</div>
    Ignoring the rest of the post as your typical grandstanding, do you have numbers to back this up? a legitimate source to post?

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 5 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]455776[/snapback]</div>
    So then we can stop giving unnecessary aid to Israel then?

http://www.wrmea.com/html/us_aid_to_israel.htm

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 5 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]455844[/snapback]</div>
    today i would pray.

and then we could stop sending aid to the PA, to Egypt and other countries in the middle east. brilliant.

at least we get that money back in one way or another - including buying technology from israel, economically in terms of major partnerships with us companies like intel, microsoft, etc, militarily in terms of technology and intelligence and teaching - on and on and on. tell me, with that aid money that goes to the PA - what do we get from that and perhaps by chance you can tell me what the individual palestinian gets - i mean they have received tens of BILLIONS of dollars over the years and what have they done with them?? have they built and economy - what do they export besides homocide bombers and unguided missiles - what have they added to mankind in the past 50 years besides terror - how did a poor guy like arafart become a billionaire when he never labored a day in his life??????

you seem to have a thing for israel but you give the PA and their allies carte blanche - why??

i would be willing for israel never to take another dime from the US with the proviso that neither do their arab neighbors or even give them all the money you want to - it stops completely with the first homocide bomber or rocket fired into israel or first israeli soldier they kidnap - how's that - or do you think they have a right to attack israel - unfettered by conventions of war?

13. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 5 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]455837[/snapback]</div>
    Ignoring my request, per usual... why am i not surprised?

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Eagle,

I don't like finding myself even peripherally on doberman's side, but at least among Israelis, the six day war is considered pre-emptive against mounting evidence of plans by the Arab countries to invade, and Egypt's closure of the straits of Tiran.

Back seat drivers can certainly argue whether X likelihood of invasion within Y days is a valid reason for pre-emptive attack, but I'd ask you to keep two things in mind:

1. War for Israel against multiple Arab countries is a gamble with genocide each time. Until you are in that position, your judgements should be a bit more circumspect.

2. Blocking the shipping lanes was an act of war by Egypt, and carried immense strategic importance, not the least of which the port of Eilat was the major route for oil imports.

I personally cannot take Aba Evan's comments too seriously. He is Israel's Chamberlain. Your quote of Begin is much more interesting, but take into account he was not in the cabinet. Try Moshe Dayan, Yitzhak Rabin and Golda Meir's memoirs.

My wife adds these details--
    On May 14, Israeli intelligence noted that Nasser had moved considerable forces into the Sinai desert. On the same day, Egypt asked for withdrawal of the UNEF forces. Secretary General U Thant stalled for time. On May 16, 1967, a Radio Cairo broadcast stated: "The existence of Israel has continued too long. We welcome the Israeli aggression. We welcome the battle we have long awaited. The peak hour has come. The battle has come in which we shall destroy Israel."

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 5 2007, 06:45 AM) [snapback]455625[/snapback]</div>
    You are so wrong. You need to find new reference sources.

Here is the chronolgy of the start of the war according to NPR:

16. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 5 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]455924[/snapback]</div>
    I don't give them carte blanche. They have carte blanche from the petro dollars we supply them with so abundantly. Do you not see that dollars from oil purchased from the middle east trickles down to the suicide bombers?

Give no money to the middle east period. We give money to the arabs by buying their oil. Stop that and pull out of the middle east. Spend our dollars here to fix health care and to develop energy independence.

I say build a wall that surrounds the entire middle east. Let everyone duke it out and the winner takes all. We know who would win. How about that for a solution. Not one more drop of american blood should be wasted in someone else's house. Let the homeowners take care of their own dirty laundry.

We've done our fair share in WWI, WWII, and the Cold War. It's our turn to develop our own peaceable country like Norway or Sweden.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 5 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]456112[/snapback]</div>
    Changing topics? Understandable.

We [the US of A] will always be democracies defender and protector - there are no options. Sweden and Norway are as they are because of the US of A as is Western Europe and a large part of Eastern Europe having been freed of their soviet yoke by this great country and 50+ years of bipartisan dedication against the Soviet Communists - a time when Democrats like Scoop Jackson and LBJ stood behind the beliefs that democracy and individual freedoms are rights all humans should enjoy.

18. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 5 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]455625[/snapback]</div>
    What do you mean the Israelis had that same military strength?
    Order of Battle
    Israel: 50,000 regular Army (incl. 214,000 reserve troops); 197 combat aircraft
    Egypt:Egyptian forces in Sinai just prior to the outbreak of hostilities included seven divisions, totaling almost 100,000 troops, and 1000 tanks along with artillery.
    Jordan:had deployed in the West Bank opposite Israel ten of its eleven brigades, totaling some 45,000 men
    Syria:forces in the Golan totaled over 40,000 troops with 260 tanks and self-propelled guns, divided up among three armored brigades and five infantry brigades.

Of course the Egyptians planned on attacking. Nasser himself said he planned on 'Destroying the state of Israel.' After the Egptians attacked then the other Arab armies would clean up.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Essayons @ Jun 6 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]456449[/snapback]</div>
    We all know the facts - I should say most of us do. I found it interesting in his yesterday he included Israel's acitve and reserve forces as one while he omitted doing the same for the Arab armies and failed in include troops sent by arab countries that did not border Israel.

did you hear about the sign they have up in the Palestinian nurseries on the West Bank? It says, "Live Ammunition". :lol:

20. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 6 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]456450[/snapback]</div>
    Wow... that may be one of the more tasteless things you've ever said.