1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

42.2 mpg @ 21f (-6c)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jan 4, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We don't get a lot of cold weather in North Alabama but it was chilly this morning. So I plugged in the block heater and after an hour and a half, the coolant registered 30C (battery was -5C). As soon as the ICE started, it dipped down to 25C but then increased normally during the warm-up. I was able to get into Stage-4 but it took nearly 3 miles.

My normal commute to work when temperatures are 50F or above is about 52 MPG. This morning, I got 42.2 MPG and I'm happy about it. This cold, the normal commuting mileage would be worse.

Bob Wilson

2. windshearalert

windshearalert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah Bob, you are right in line with my MPG's over the past few weeks. I am in Little Rock and during the summer i pulled about 50-52 MPG per tankfull. (Actual calculated mileage at each fill up was about 1-3 MPG less than the car readout). I would say i was pulling 48-50MPG each tankfull dividing miles driven against amount of fill up.

Since it has now dropped into the 20's and 30's i am down on the indicator to 43-45MPG. I cannot get it to pull any higher even with pulse and glide and running 55MPH to 64 MPH. Doesnt matter what i do.

Tires are sitting on 44PSI all the way around . i try and run the heat on the lowest setting of maybe 65F Auto. I dont use defrost except in sporadic moments to clear frost or occasional fogginess. I am almost certain after reading the posts that its the computer enrichening the mixture to accomidate the colder temps. I have also noticed the car does not like to run on battery as it did in the warmer weather. Of course, im sure that is due to warm up (usually about 10 min before i start getting decent mileage) Car really seems to get close to 50 MPG range but it usually settles around 45 MPG.

I have a new replacement computer with the latest P/N sitting in the house. I ponder if that would help out. Never changed it out as i am firm believer in the "dont touch it if its not broke" train of thought.

Car is still running unbelievably well and i am just about to pass 240,000 miles.

Bob, do you think i should block off the grille? I never did it, but is it really worth a realistic improvement??

Later all,
    Justin

3. dang10010

dang10010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its been below cold here for weeks and unfortunately I've only averaged 35 mpg over the past 700 miles or so. In the summer I average about 40. I only drive 3 miles to work and generally only drive short trips so thats not bad I don't think. I ordered an engine block heater and I hope this helps the mpgs not to mention my comfort. I put cardboard in front of the radiator and I think it helps once the engine gets warm but doesn't really help warm up.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Blocking off the the lower grille helps. Using my Graham scanner, up to 70-80F, no problem with the rest of the temperatures. I use a split water noodle held in by bungie cords.

That 240,000 miles is impressive! Keep on keepin' on!

BTW, I tested using my wife's ZVW30 (2010 Prius) and it gets better mileage without a block heater or radiator block.

Bob Wilson

5. marcinchicago39

marcinchicago39 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm jealous about your 42 MPG. I live in Chicago, it's cold 10 to 25 F and I have 35-37 MPG, but my car never reach 50, maybe that's why I drive 85% highway miles mostly around 75 mph and acelerate fast (I'm always late). Is 35 mpg looks something wrong with my car or in my driving skils nad weather it's nothing special?

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    using a blockheater or grill blocking you get less mpg on the 2010 prius?

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

What I'm seeing is:
    NHW11+grill_block+block_heater ~= ZVW30
    Bob Wilson

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok so a
    ZVW30+blockheater+grilblocking > ZVW-blockheater-grillblocking ?
    OR
    ZVW-blockheater-grillblocking > ZVW30+blockheater+grilblocking?

in MpG's

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't think anyone has done a study, yet. But I need to compare two styles of bumper inlet blocking and with the cold, dense air, it is easy:

• no bumper inlet block
    • bumper inlet block at rear
    • bumper inlet block at front
    I'll probably run the tests in the next couple of days and report.

I don't have a block heater for my wife's ZVW30 but want to wait until I get the Prius docking station working first.

Bob Wilson