1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

42/40 = uneven tire wear or unsafe?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by plasm, Jan 3, 2006.

1. plasm

plasm New Member

Does anyone know if running at 42/40 (on any tires) will wear the center before the outer edges of the tire? If the tread is wearing unevenly, it would indicate that the tire isn't contacting the ground optimally, so that would be a safety issue. I'm just wondering because it's quite a bit higher than the recommended 35/33 pressure.

I've been running at 42/40 for a while now, and I love the increased MPG and handling, but I'm wondering if I'm sacrificing safety and/or tread life at the same time.

Thanks!

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I ran 40/38 on my '02 for 54K mi. and the wear was perfectly even. Those were Bridgestone Potenzas, too, not a very good tire otherwise.

And yes, technically safety could be a slight factor---mostly, I think, in the event of having a slight bounce if you drove over something, thus temporarily losing grip with that wheel, instead of "squishing" over it.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nope... on LRR tires, pressure has to be much much higher before crowning becomes a problem

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Picked up my 06' yesterday and checked the pressure after the car sat several hours. They had 31 all around... So I got my portable little compressor out and riased em' right up to 37/35. I'm nervous about running 42/40 or even 40/38... No one who runs that high and has had their car say 2 years now has experienced early wear of their struts etc? I live in NYC and hitting the inevitable pothole(s) around here can be a bitch on the suspension and running that high, well, can it really be good?

5. plasm

plasm New Member

I actually just got Goodyear TripleTreds put on... I don't think those are LRR. Do you think those should be okay at 42/40 as well? Thanks!

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My integrities wore more out the outer edges than the center...I religiously maintained 42f/40r pressure.

I've had my Prius for over 2 years and have no issues with struts/handling and have never heard a report of any issues.

Modern steel belted radial tires should have no issues of crowning/center wear at the pressures we're talking about here.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's a non-issue.

Pressure all the way up to the maximum is what a good quality tire will maintain its shape at nowadays. After 30,000 miles with my HydroEdge tires running at 44/42, the wear is still even all the way across the surface.

The days of rounding tires are just bad memories from decades past.

8. plasm

plasm New Member

thanks for the expert advice, john and evan. :) you guys are awesome!

9. jsorger

jsorger New Member

I'll second Evan's response - I kept my stock Integritys at 42/40 for 50k and they still wore out on the edges first. Started to become evident at 25k or so. I was scared to go higher, but wondered if I could even out the wear.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    edge wear is normal under all conditions if the tires are not properly rotated and balanced. front tires will wear on the edge faster and this wear is FASTER for underinflated tires. normal for ANY other pressure. that is why front to rear rotation is critical. a rebalance is recomended for each 25-33% of usable tread wear loss.

edge wear occurs while turning and can not be avoided. for most tires, a small amount of overinflation will slow the wear down. the rears because they are pulled around the corner with minimal weight on them, dont distort and dont wear on any spot unevenly

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Edge wear on front is now more related to hard/fast cornering than to pressures within the tires rated ranges. That is, if you don't have a alignment problem.

12. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got 40k miles at 38-36 to 42-40 psi ranges.

Tread_Depth_(mils)____Integrity_after_40,080_rotated_every_10k
    _________FrontLeft__________FrontRight__________RearLeft_____________RearRight
    Inside_____14___________________15_______________17__________________13
    Middle____12___________________15_______________16__________________13
    Outside____10___________________11_______________12__________________12

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    LRR tires? What's that Dave?

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Low rolling resistance.

tires specially designed to keep their figures in a manner of speaking. iow, they stay round. this reduces the flexing of the rubber as the tire spins, (the flat side is not very flat) which reduces heat caused by friction and increases tread life and decreases comfort.

at work we share our parking lot with the WA state dept of Health. few years ago, WA State mandated that all state funded fleet vehicles (if they wanted their funding to continue) had to upgrade to alternative fuel vehicles that reduced polution (if such a vehicle existed). The Prius is still the best choice going. so there are a BUNCH of Prius state vehicles there.

i have had several opportunities to talk with employees there and their reactions to ride comfort ranges from

"rides fine. no complaints"

to

"i would never spend my money on it"

i talked to this one lady who, by far, had the strongest opinion on it (i think she has control issues...seemed very nice though) who said that if riding in the back seat, in less than 10 minutes, she had a pounding headache. she surmised it was either the vibration or some subsonic frequency that did it (she claimed to be sensitive to that). but she also said she liked the vehicle and didnt have any issues if she was driving...

i have never riden in the back of my Prius so i cant say, but i have had a lot of passengers and all are totally impressed with the leg room of the back. only average comments about comfort. i do know that more than a few were jealous that the front seats reclined back to nearly any position.

now with the DOH people, i also noticed a very very obvious general disdain for fleet cars in general. there is only 2 non Prius cars i have ever seen over there besides vans and they are very large 4 door sedans. boat types, i call em. dont know if they just want to drive a car that gets 12 mpg without having to pay for the gas or they just want to drive them because they seem much more exclusive.

15. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I run my tires at 37/35. Based on posts on PriusChat I tried 42/40 for several weeks and then reduced them to 38/35. I thought that both the ride and handling were improved and I saw no change in gas mileage.

16. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I have settled on 36/34. Higher pressures may give better mpgs, but the ride is harsher and I feel that this contributes to rattles appearing before they should.