1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

42 mpg average after one week and 130 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by pearsonrj, Jun 27, 2005.

1. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I've had my Prius one week. On the occasional short freeway drive at around 60 mph, I can see from the instantaneous fuel consumption screen that getting 50 mpg+ shouldn't be too tough on the highway. However, getting that sort of mileage around town and the suburbs seems to be almost impossible. The ICE kicks in when accelerating (not hard mind you), and the general density of traffic means you're always accelerating and decelerating. I leave the A/C on Auto, as I understand it only kicks in when necessary.

Not that I'm unhappy in the least. Equivalent driving in my old '97 Ford Taurus station wagon yields an appalling 16 - 18 mpg.

2. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Have to say it is somewhat depressing to watch the current MPG read only 20 mpg or less, in normal acceleration from a stop, forinstance.

I'm at 200 + miles total myself! lol

From what the experienced drivers say: Brake less and more gradually (anticipate stops farther out and coast more to slow down).

I actually have started to set my display on audio screen, so I wouldn't have to see the fluctuating numbers all the time - sort of like a Chinese water torture, no?!? ;)

I drive conservatively still, and attempt to conform to more proficient conservation each drive too...just don't want to see the mpg in my face all the time.

With custom 17" wheels, I've managed to avg 46.5 mpg thus far and am pretty content with this start.

Cheers~

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Few things to get that higher city mileage:
    o wait for the car to break in
    o make sure you have 3.5qt of oil and no more (~2-5mpg right there)
    o make sure your driving style conforms to the recommendations in some other thread which involves coasting/cruising a lot, accelerating more aggressively (or not), not racing to red lights, etc.

So yes, short stretches of city-streets don't help, but also they're short so factor that into the math.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If the entire trip is short, you'll get a hit from that too, as you are driving mostly during the warmup phase, which yields about 25-35 MPG.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume that 3.5qt (US). Dang it. I just checked my oil and it's overfilled =(.

Anyway, your lower mileage could be the result of a short trip when the engine is cold, rush hour traffic (that drains the battery) and that you only have 130 miles =).