1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$4400 for head gasket and 150k service -- too high?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mi2k, May 4, 2022.

Tags:
  1. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My 2012 Prius v engine has gradually progressed from a minor hesitation to a pronounced shudder while starting over the last two years. Over the last six months, the coolant has been disappearing. I saw a low coolant warning six months ago, after which I have been checking and refilling coolant periodically. The overheat warning has never come on. The car is in good shape otherwise.

The garage where I take my cars has quoted me $4400 for head gasket replacement and 150K service after an engine compression test. I like and trust this place, but my main contact there has recently quit. Is this price too high after accounting for the recent inflation?

Thanks in advance!

#1 mi2k, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say without competitive pricing. i would also ask about low mile salvage engine.

see what dealers want too.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Around here you could get a rebuilt engine for that price, installed. Some shops will do a head gasket and machined head for $2,000. A 150,000 mile service is an oil change and rotate tires. Either way get someone who uses a decent automotive machine shop.

If you don't want a repeat head gasket problem, get a rebuilt engine, preferably starting with another lower mile engine that may not be as carboned up or overheated. All 1.8L hybrid engines from 2010 - mid 2014 are flawed in multiple ways. A rebuild with new pistons and rings starts you with essentially a 2015 engine from a reliability standpoint.

#3 rjparker, May 4, 2022
    BK310CH, Foxglove and mi2k like this.
  4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Use repairpal.com to verify prices in your area. That price seems to be $1K too high. Also make sure they clean out your entire EGR system or replace it.

Good Luck..

mi2k, Merkey and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, be sure to have the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system and intake manifold thorougly cleaned, or you'll be blowing another head gasket soon enough. More info in my signature.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Out here in PNW a headgasket on a Gen3 Prius is between $1500 & $1900... Your mechanic's price is awful. Don't pay them a penny! It's time to move on from them just like your main contact at this place did.

BK310CH, mi2k and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For third party mechanic shop? I remember when timing chain cover leaks started cropping up, and a US dealership charged $1700, for a reseal.

mi2k likes this.
  8. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I am taking a pause to decide what to do next. The following is an update from my conversation with the garage owner today:
    • He said that he has worked on Prius for the last 20 years, and mine is the first head gasket failure he has seen. Last year I had taken the car to them because of the hesitation at start and a check engine sign. They had looked into spark plugs and distributor cables but had not found anything. I had not experienced the coolant issue at that time.
    • I asked him about EGR cleaning that Mendel suggests. He has not heard of any connection between EGR and head gasket issues and does not know if it would be easy to access the EGR for cleaning, but he will try to find out.
    I am in Maryland where prices are high, but even then $4400 sounds too high.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe mostly 2nd gen? Third gen head gasket's reliably fail around 200K miles. Typically those are "religiously" dealership serviced, and EGR never touched.

Point him to first link in my signature.

BK310CH and mi2k like this.
  10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The earlier generation Prii from twenty years ago never had head gasket problems. 2010-2014 do but he is embarrassed he did not recognize the symptoms. The cold start rattles are unique to these cars plus they don't routinely leak coolant into the oil or lose compression. It sounds like he has not done head gaskets on these cars. He has not torn down an egr and found it full of carbon. He does not know about the bad rings in the 2010-14. Find someone who does know these things. Plus a shop who has done many will have better prices.

#10 rjparker, May 4, 2022
  11. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Based on what all of you are saying, Toyota dealers are not likely to look into EGR. Probably their head gasket replacement cost would be in the same ballpark. I will try to find another independent shop that has dealt with head gasket replacement (probably common) and EGR cleaning (probably not common). I tried searching here if others in MD have a favorite Prius mechanic, but I didn't see anything. What are some other popular Prius forums? Reddit?

I read about EGR's link to engine temp at Mendel's link and elsewhere and I understand the potential connection to head gasket deterioration. Do you think there is a case for cleaning the EGR first to see if it fixes the gasket issue? According to my current mechanic, they found coolant in the tailpipe.

Does the disassembly needed for gasket replacement make access to the EGR easier?

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any Gen 3 or v with over 100k miles that comes through our shop for sale, gets an EGR clean-out. (We're prepping one now that has half a million miles on it. :eek:) We're convinced that there's a definite connection between clogged EGR systems and blown head gaskets. Plus, the Gen 3 HG isn't particularly robust. Here's what a clogged and a cleaned EGR cooler look like when you look into the end of it.
    EGR-dirty Large_Export Large.jpeg EGR-clean Large_Export Large.jpeg

If you hold the cooler at just the right angle to the light, you should be able to look right through it. The one in the top picture is totally clogged. It's also necessary to clean the tube, the valve, and the intake manifold.

We probably replace about one HG a week or thereabouts.

Mendel Leisk and mi2k like this.
  13. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you Jerry! Now that there are signs of HG failure in mine, does it make sense to clean the EGR first to see if the HG issues get sorted out? Or should I just proceed with HG replacement and have the EGR and manifold cleaned at the same time?

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #14 Mendel Leisk, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Limey Geoff, jerrymildred and mi2k like this.
  15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Once your shaking a head gasket is waiting...

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Mendel Leisk and @rjparker are right. Cleaning the EGR circuit won't fix the head gasket. You need a new HG. But, if you don't clean the EGR circuit (all of it), you'll need another HG very soon. Don't forget that it took quite a few tens of thousands of miles to plug it it up. This time, it'll take zero miles to plug it up. It's like the horse and the barn door.

CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another thing to consider is I have some friends who got a blown head gasket diagnosis and retired the Prius to an around town vehicle and no more long road trips and after 3 years the symptoms are still barely noticeable. Plan is to do their headgasket for them soon as the engine starts running really rough when started up and we still aren't their yet, so in meantime I'm fixing all the other little things.

And there's limits to this as a bad head gasket that's ignored for too long can destroy dampener/transmission.

18. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Worse than that is a hole in the block.

jerrymildred and CR94 like this.
  19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Complete low mileage take out engine and trans installed in car price of engine and trans and install in Efland NC 65 days ago. 1966 US dollars.

20. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that a hybrid shop there in Efland? Will they do other repairs on a Prius? I'm familiar with the area, my parents lived in Mebane.