1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

45k miles, still stock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by willchu, Nov 30, 2008.

1. willchu

willchu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have 45k miles on my 07 prius (alot of highway)...and didn't change anything at all. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be aware of anything?

Now that snow is coming soon here I will get new front tires. The reason I'm asking is because I haven't had a problem at all...

I do change oil of course every 5k miles on full synthetic.

Anything I should be aware of guys? Thanks.

ps: I don't have the money to spend on check ups that's why I haven't bothered.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    full synthetic every 5k miles.. try 7500 or even better quality for 10k mile changes.

at 60k, some break loose the spark plugs and apply anti sieze.. mine were fine at 104k miles ( 107k currently.. with new spark plugs... next time i'll wait for the 120k mile period.

your brakes should be fine.. make sure you're fluids are topped off.. mainly the coolant.

you're good to go. welcome to priuschat

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Per the Toyota maintenance schedule you should be replacing the air filter and cabin filter every 30K miles. These cost ~ $15 and will take less than 10 minutes to change. You should also rotate the tires every 5k miles when you change the oil and oil filter.

I also agree with V8Cobrakid that you are wasting your money if you are draining synthetic engine oil at 5K. Now that you are past 50K miles and out of warranty I would change it on the European schedule (15K km or 9300 miles). That is my plan, I just put synthetic oil in at 50K and will be changing it at 60K or one year.

Even if you don't have the money to pay a Toyota dealer to do the maintenance it still needs to be done. It is all really easy stuff, mostly checking the levels of the fluids and can be done by any owner.

4. willchu

willchu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow 10k!?

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic...but now currently changed to Castrol Synthetic due to scarcity of mobil 1.

I guess I was being BSed when I went to Toyota Dealer to have a noised checked out...the mechanic said that my oil is black...that must have been around 4k mark.

No black oils after 4k for you guys?? Does filter brand matter? I use Fram. Thanks

5. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've never used oil color to determine when to change oil. I've always just followed manufacturers service schedule.

For my 2000 Nissan Frontier 4x4 the oil change interval was every 7,500 miles using conventional oil. We traded it at ~ 50K miles to buy the VW.

For my 2002 VW Jetta TDI the oil change interval is every 10,000 miles using synthetic, diesel specific, turbocharger specific oil. When I change the oil it is black. I fill it with new oil, start it, and it is as black as the used oil that came out. It currently has 189,000 miles with no issues.

Of course the interval for my 2005 Prius is 5,000 using conventional oil. However, I'm very comfortable using the EU schedule with synthetic oil.

Edit: I use VW or Mahle oil filters in VW and Bosch filters the Prius. I don't use Fram filters as I've seen reports on other car forums of problems with the cardboard internals collapsing in Fram filters. Search for "Fram Filter Failure" and be amazed.

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just turned 40k on my OEM tires - nice, with lots of tread left. Cumulative mpg is 52.1. Regular maintenance at 5k intervals, including Mobil 1 synthetic oil & Mobil 1 extra capacity oil filters. Just put in the pipe insulation strips to block the front end for cold weather. Car is a dream.