1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4680 LFP vs 2170 NCA

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Oct 29, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source_1:

Everything You Need To Know About Tesla's New 4680 Battery Cell - CleanTechnica

The larger jelly roll packs more active battery material into the casing for a 5× improvement in energy storage and a 6× increase in power. Scaling up to the pack, the new form factor alone delivers a 16% increase in range.
    eliminating the tab actually makes it easier for electrons to get around inside the cell than in the current 2170 cells. “You actually have a shorter path length in a large tabless cell than you have in a smaller cell with tabs,” Musk said.

the battery cell.
    • 14% improvement in cost/kWh coming from the change in cell form factor.
    • 18% improvement in cost/kWh as a result of the 10× manufacturing footprint reduction and 10× manufacturing energy consumption reduction. The new dry manufacturing process enables pressing the active battery powder material directly into a film. The new manufacturing process is based on Maxwell Technologies’ proprietary “proof of concept” process. Process is not at production scale yet, but there is a “clear path” to large scale production.
    • 5% improvement in cost/kWh coming from the increase utilization of silicon in the battery cells.
    • 12% reduction in cost/kWh coming from improvements in the cathode material.
    • 7% improvement in battery pack cost per kWh as a result of Tesla’s new integrated vehicle design. Tesla redesigned its vehicles using new front and rear castings that integrate with the battery pack. To accomplish this, Tesla developed a completely new alloy to enable casting of some of the largest components in the automotive space. These bolt directly into a new “structural battery,” eliminating the need for redundant, parallel elements in Teslas.
    Source_2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_nickel_cobalt_aluminium_oxides

The usable charge storage capacity of NCA is about 180 to 200 mAh/g ... lithium iron phosphate LiFePO4 with 165 mAh/g

Based on this:
    • (165 - 180) / 180 = -8.3 % lower energy density
    • (165 - 200) / 200 = -17.5% lower energy density
    • 16% improved range from 4680 form factor
    Off hand, it looks like a 4680 LFP pack will have similar performance to a 2170 NCA pack ... but more affordable.

Bob Wilson

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Have they crash tested the new dual casting design?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't know but by the time I'm ready to replace my 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3, I'm sure they will have been crash tested. Have you looked around to find out?

Bob Wilson

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    the batterie won't go into production until 2022/next year. Once they start making production Parts, production modules, production packs, that's the version necessy to perform crash tests. So - sould the early prototypes counnt?

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #5 vvillovv, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sounds like Panasonic doesn't want to compete with the Chinese nor Koreans in regards to LFP production. It is a relatively old chemistry that likely means cutting profits on them to be competitive.