1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4700 miles almost first oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priussoris, May 8, 2007.

1. priussoris

priussoris New Member

The maint. req. light flashes now about 6 times I understand that is normal, my real question is we are going out of town friday and I know we will go over the 5k mile mark. I was thinking of changing the oil on thursday.
    Will the light come on and stay on then at 5k even if the oil change was done before then, if so how do you turn off the light when it stays on constant? or do I just wait till back in town and have 5700 miles then take in for oil change and tire rotation?

thanks

Craig

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The light comes in automatically at 4000 and blink when you start the car. When it hits 5000, it will stay on. You can turn it off yourself, read the manual, I think page 123. Even after changing the oil (at whatever mileage you have) it will stay on unless someone turns it off. This is my understanding. I took mine to the dealer at 5300 miles last weekend. They turned the light off when done.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you coming up Chicago way so I can install your block heater and change your oil?

Wayne

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 9 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]438226[/snapback]</div>
    Wayne,
    Well I wish it were that easy. Wife made plans to see her sister in Witchita,KS. (boring)
    I am trying to talk her into going to the chicago prius meet on the 20th.
    but we have an apt. on the 19th so I doubt if that happens. :( who knows

Craig

Michgal007, thanks for the info

5. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's supposed to start blinking 1000 miles before an oil change is due? Mine started blinking when I first turned the car on at 9412 (for the 2nd oil change) and I thought 600 miles before was way too early.

My last car (2000 Cavalier) had little computerization, and when a light came on, you were already in trouble.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I believe it's actually 4,500 miles since the last reset when it starts blinking.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do the car a lovely favor and put some Mobil One 10-30 in her before 700 mile road trip. Get that original oil of of the motor. Its got all that breakin crap in it. Hit the dealer for the filter and then pick up 4 quarts of Mobil One and go to a quickie oil change. Takes 5 minutes. Have them put in exactly 3.5 quarts. And use the factory oil filter. You can get 'em at the dealer for $ 6.50 ea. Its a wacky car..I changed my first oil at 900 miles and 3000 miles later the oil looks brand new. Still has the Mobil One honey color but has disturbing very strong smell of fuel in it. Just like the first change. Atkisson Miller! Because of that I will probably change it every 5k
    miles. She runs really really good on Mobil One! Love this car!!

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ed meant "5W-20", of course. Especially as this is winter Up North and all.