1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

READ THIS! SKS system... cops almost hauled me off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by abq sfr, Jun 6, 2008.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There was a bank robbery across the street this morning, police have been swarming all around my federal office building all day. A co-worker came up and said the cops were in a circle around my Prius and wanted to know who owns it, they said they would send me down. I went down (nervously) and there were 3 cop cars blocking in my Prius, 10 police officers: plain clothes, County, City, FBI, Homeland Security (federal bldg), etc around my poor car, two of them had direction finder devices pointed at my Prius. After some awkward questions and answers, we began troubleshooting. They thought maybe it was the Ham Radio equipment inside, but none of it was turned on. Apparently the wireless lock/unlock system on the Prius was sending signals at the same frequency as the homing device in the dye-pack in the stolen money. I unlocked the car, their devices quit clicking. I locked it again, their devices started clicking again, you could hear it. Apparently their new stolen money tracking system is also tracking Prii! I think they said the frequency was 216.5 mhz, but I can't be sure, I was a little nervous. :eek: Anybody know what the actual frequency is of the SKS system is? Lesson.... if you rob banks, don't drive a Prius with SKS!!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow!! That must've been pretty anxiety provoking at the time, but how funny/cool/interesting now! Who would've guessed?!

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Smart Entry/Smart Start system has the following operating frequencies; see attached TSB file:
    • Fob to vehicle: 312 - 315 mHz
    • Vehicle to fob: 134.2 kHz
    Given these frequencies, I see no reason why their system should be pointing to the Prius. Instead, the system should have been pointing to you - if you had a nearby FM station operating at ~100 mHz, and there was mixing of the signals due to rectification.

If the fob to vehicle and vehicle to fob frequencies were reversed then I could understand their system pointing to the Prius.

Attached Files:

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice thinking on your feet to throw them off the scent.

How much did you get away with?

5. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah, I always go back to work whenever I rob a bank! Actually, I'd take Annual Leave!

6. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey, at least you have a great story! I have a good one about Zagreb, armed soldiers, a train at 3am and the bullet pock-marked police station.. .but it's actually NOT as interesting as yours!

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    crap. there goes the bank robber gig.

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another cool test would have been to turn off the SKS system and see what the police equipment picked up...

9. briansabeans

briansabeans New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yet another way technology is harming our civil liberties. I hope they didn't illegally search your car while they were at it.

10. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if some strange harmonic was involved. I've seen some weird stuff over the years.

Since I have nothing to hide, I don't care if they want to search my car in a situation like this, as long as they don't break anything. I want to do what ever I can to help them catch the bad guys. The sooner they eliminate me and my car the sooner they can get on with the hunt.

Bob

11. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Another good one!
    :D

ZC1

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the bank had an armed guard it would have been easy to find the perp in a pool of his own blood.

13. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I opened the trunk I told them they could look inside wherever they liked... I don't think there's anything in there for them to find :confused: I'm not sure how they homed in on mine... a female coworker had a 2006 with sks in the lot too, from what I heard they looked hers over too, mirrors under the car etc. Maybe since mine's registered to a male and it was a guy who knocked over the bank. Also they were asking me if anybody could have put something (the money) in it while I was at work or if they could have taken the car without my knowledge. I guess they don't know how hard it is to steal a Prius. And return it. Undamaged. I guess the robber could have pulled it up onto a flatbed, drove it to the bank, robbed the bank, and dropped it back into the same parking place at my work?

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're lucky if most cops even have a high school education, and most are remarkably ignorant of technology. Most even refute/distrust any effort by engineers, scientists, and other skilled folks to help them. Unlike Europe, there is very little cooperation here between law enforcement and the engineering community

So no doubt they were not aware of how hard it was to steal a Prius

As far as homing, if they had something like an Agilent E3238S/35688E and - more importantly - knew how to use it, the mixup with you would not have happened. The frequencies are far enough apart that unless they were using a cruddy, poorly built, never-calibrated device, it should never have keyed off on your Prius

Unfortunately, here is what I predict will happen in the near future: thanks to media releases and even sites like this, a savvy bank robber will build and scatter a handful of "crybabies" in a 2-4 block radius around the intended bank. The bankrobber will be careful to use nitrile gloves while handling the components to avoid a possible IAFIS hit

The "crybabies" will be on a simple timer, to coincide with when the robber intends to knock off the bank. Within moments of the carefully planned heist, the "crybabies" all start broadcasting, and the crook most likely makes a clean getaway

Good thing I'm essentially a moral and ethical person at heart. Something tells me that all my engineering training, and work experience, would have *really* paid off if I had started a life of crime

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

Good point. The SE/SS receiver in the Prius may have had an oscillator within, operating on the frequency being monitored by the police.

16. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah, I was wondering about that too. Maybe it coupled somehow with the dualband 2m/70cm antenna on the trunk?

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, I have the same thoughts. I come up with some great schemes, but have no interest in breaking the law. It's a good thing that most people are basically honest, and it's an even better thing that engineers are too geeky to get involved in this sort of thing. Most of my efforts along this line were used to annoy office mates. :D

Tom

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Knowing that you are a ham, if you have a VHF receiver that will tune the 210-220 mHz range, maybe you can try looking for a signal coming from your Prius. A local oscillator makes a lot of sense if you could control the signal with the remote lock/unlock buttons on the fob.

Patrick Wong AK6C

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please feel free to explain which civil liberties were harmed.
    Reason to suspect, inspection, so what. The people with the most to lose are criminals, for law abiding people it's a couple of minutes and a great story to tell.
    Sometimes I wonder why Americans are seen as wankers by the rest of the world then someone comes along and gives me an answer.

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh boy, if only the cubicles could talk. Ever do anything naughty with an office KSU, especially a Hunt Group? Shame, shame on me