1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4Runner Getting a Redo for 2025

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by drash, Apr 4, 2024.

Tags:
  1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is starting to tease pictures of the new 4Runner:
    Fresh Air for Your Wild Side in the Next Generation 4Runner - Toyota USA Newsroom

2025_930B_Teaser-2_-600x338.jpg

I looked closely at the top of the rear window. At first I thought it was a recessed wiper but upon a closer examination it looks like a release lever or handle. I'm guessing they're keeping rear window only opening found in todays 4Runner. The current 4Runner has up and down buttons for that next to the name. Maybe that is for partial opening to keep exhaust gases from infiltrating the cabin.

It is a sister SUV to the Tacoma so I don't know if it'll have a gas only/hybrid (iFORCE MAX) choice like the Tacoma or be like the Sequoia and Land Cruiser and be hybrid only. The new 4Runner will be about the same size as the Land Cruiser, so to differentiate from the Land Cruiser, the current version does have an option for 7 passengers.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Plenty of room underneath for a nice big plug-in battery, maybe 80 miles worth, which would mean enough capacity to absorb DC QC . We'd be all over that - if 4WD capable.

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2025 Toyota 4Runner Refines Adventure Ready Heritage - Toyota USA Newsroom

So the 2025 Toyota 4Runner will have the same engine setup as its 2024 Tacoma sibling. Standard i-FORCE 2.4L Turbo 8-speed tranny that produces 278 hp, 317 lb.-ft. of torque. Available will be the i-FORCE MAX hybrid powertrain with the same 326 hp, 465 lb.-ft. of torque as the Tacoma and allows it to tow up to 6,000lbs. Like the 2024 Tacoma it is assembled on the TNGA-F platform and comes in 2WD, part-time 4WD or full time 4WD. Unlike the 2024 Tacoma the 2025 4Runner will not be available with a manual transmission and will be built in Japan. Below are the 9 grades and available options as known so far:

Grade Standard Powertrain Optional Powertrain or Options
    1 SR5 i-FORCE 2.4L Turbo & 2WD part-time 4WD
    2 TRD Sport i-FORCE 2.4L Turbo & 2WD part-time 4WD
    3 TRD Sport Premium i-FORCE 2.4L Turbo & 2WD part-time 4WD
    4 TRD Off Road i-FORCE 2.4L Turbo i-FORCE MAX 2.4L Turbo Hybrid
    5 TRD Off Road Premium i-FORCE 2.4L Turbo i-FORCE MAX 2.4L Turbo Hybrid
    6 Limited i-FORCE 2.4L Turbo i-FORCE MAX 2.4L Turbo Hybrid & full-time 4WD
    7 Platinum i-FORCE MAX 2.4L Turbo Hybrid & full-time 4WD Unknown
    8 TRD Pro i-FORCE MAX 2.4L Turbo Hybrid Unknown
    9 Trailhunter i-FORCE MAX 2.4L Turbo Hybrid Unknown

Comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 which now includes Proactive Driving Assist (PDA).

"Proactive Driving Assist is now a part of Toyota Safety Sense. Proactive Driving Assist (PDA) uses the vehicle’s camera and radar, when system operating conditions are met, to provide gentle braking and/or steering to support driving tasks such as distance control between your vehicle and a preceding vehicle, pedestrian, or bicyclist. PDA can also provide gentle braking into curves. Proactive Driving Assist is not a substitute for the Pre-Collision System and operates in different circumstances.

Including the addition of Proactive Driving Assist, the Toyota Safety Sense features have been enhanced for TSS 3.0:

• The Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection has enhanced detection capabilities thanks to new system sensors. It receives enhanced intersection support with improved detection capability in certain circumstances. In addition to pedestrian and bicyclist detection, this system now includes the capability to detect a motorcyclist.
    • Lane Departure Alert will now provide Steering Assist as well as enhanced lane recognition that includes detection of certain 3D objects, like guardrails, that may be used to help define the lane.
    • Dynamic Radar Cruise Control will have Full-Speed Range capability and adds a fourth following distance setting, from the previously available three. Enhanced vehicle detection allows for the ability to detect more than one preceding vehicle, as well as vehicles in adjacent lanes. This helps the system to provide smoother, more natural speed adjustments, especially when the driver changes lanes.
    • Lane Tracing Assist requires Dynamic Radar Cruise Control to be enabled for it to function. The system requires detectable lane markings in order to function. Like Lane Departure Alert, lane recognition is enhanced over prior TSS generations. In addition to lane centering, this system also helps provide more space between vehicles being passed in adjacent lanes. It works by offsetting the vehicles’ driving path with minor steering adjustments while keeping the vehicle within its lane.
    • An Emergency Driving Stop System is a new function of Lane Tracing Assist. It’s designed to monitor the driver’s inputs, such as steering operation, to determine if they’re inattentive or non-responsive, such as during a medical emergency. This feature is designed to bring the vehicle to a stop if the driver doesn’t respond to alerts to take control.
    • Road Sign Assist is designed to detect speed limit signs, stop signs, Do Not Enter signs, yield signs, and certain warning signs, and display an icon of the sign on the Multi-Information Display (MID).
    In addition to TSS 3.0, other available features include Blind Spot Monitor (BSM), which is designed to help detect and warn you of vehicles approaching or positioned in the adjacent lanes and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA) for added peace of mind by helping to detect vehicles approaching from either side while backing out and alerting you with a visual and audible warning. Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) also comes standard."

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is the Tacoma hybrid available? The Toyota site is lacking price and EPA figures.

5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Spring is supposedly when the Tacoma Hybrid will be released, so I'll bet you won't see any until mid-summer, but specs should be released anytime in the next month. The 2024 Tacoma will continue to be built in the de Baja California, Mexico plant as well as the new de Guanajuato, Mexico plant.

Forgot to add 4Runner and Land Cruiser will be built in the Tahara plant with additional Land Cruiser manufacturing in the Hino plant as well. The 4Runner won't arrive until Fall of this year.

Trollbait likes this.