1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5 Automakers Stand Behind 54.5 MPG Fuel Standard

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wjtracy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

What can we say about this news? Firstly, they do not really mean 54.5 MPG right? That's that funny CAFE MPG, so they are really saying, maybe 40 EPA highway MPG? Where's Toyota? Not playing politics? And what are the 5 auto companies really saying?..."this is great, as long as no one is counting the total fuel burned we are happy to comply." And +$2100 who are we kidding?

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, it's their way of keeping Chinese automakers off their back. That's my guess. Tom Friedman made a similar point in "Hot, Flat, and Crowded". American companies should be all for advanced efficiency (he used A/C manufacturers whinging about SEER 13 as an example) because anybody can make an inefficient car... and the Chinese can do that really cheaply (or A/C in the case of the example). I'm guessing that's what's at play here.

1 person likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    My guess about what the U.S. auto exec's are thinking is that they are thinking like they've always thought,
    ".... ok let's face it, we're pretty much hosed unless we SAY we're all for higher mpg's ... and down the road? ... we can still lobby to have the high mpg rules thrown out, just before they go into effect ... just like we've done in the past ....."​

2 people like this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Energy Secretary Chu Says U.S. Must Not Lose EV Technology Race to China - AutoObserver

2 people like this.
  5. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

CAFE, EPA Math: 35 Equals 26 - AutoObserver

yes, 40-41 combined. This is w/o FlexFuel. With Flex, biodisel, plug-in credits less not sure by how much.

No doubt pretty much all gasoline cars will be FlexFuel. There will be more plug-ins and we will see more small diesels, all biodiesel compatible.

1 person likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Flex fuel makes sense...elec/gaso/PHEV/ is a good flex

7. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I can totally understand Ford doing this, can kind of get a grip on Chevy doing this...but Dodge??? Really??

They realize the 40mpg standard isn't achieved by adding all their cars together right?

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears to me that the "Detroit 3" are performing double speak. They are part of the Auto Alliance which lobbies to crush the new CAFE standards. They even have a website dedicated to this effort. We discussed this on last nights taping of WhatDrives.Us

Auto Alliance: Home

Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers - SourceWatch

GM, Ford, Chrysler and Toyota are all a part of this organization. They even had a toll-free number for U.S. drivers to call to lobby Congress against CAFE standards.

9. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't really have a problem with them opposing CAFE standards. Toyota is doing what it can to make fuel econ rise and so is Ford and to some extent GM. If they are doing that while trying to crush the standard and are doing it because they want to make cars like that so be it.

I honestly don't care if they make a car that gets 4mpg if they are still making cars that get 40+...not because some gov't imposed rule, but because they understand people want that.

If they crushed the standards discontinued the Prius, Fusion Hybrid, Fiesta, Yaris, Focus, Hycam, Hyhi etc... then that would be a different story alltogether.

I think any manufacturer with a collective brain in their boardroom knows they need to make more efficient cars...I think they should freely be able to do so and not be told to do it.

Dodge is a prime example of a company that doesn't / didn't care and look where it got them.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is the majority of the car buying population doesn't have enough education or caring to purchase enough of the high mpg cars to make a difference. So the end result is more low mpg vehicles will be sold unless fuel prices rise enough to force them to switch. We will continue to use too much fuel for transportation and we will continue to pollute the environment to the detriment of humans and our economy.

You have to look at the bigger picture and realize that most buyers are fairly ignorant when it comes to the effects of their buying decision. Some say they have a right to own whatever kind of car they please and I say I have a right to clean air that is not being polluted by your ignorant/selfish choice.

11. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Fine. Educate the public instead of forcing them to make a decision through the government...don't they have enough control of your life?

1 person likes this.
  12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Easier said than done. I think created higher CAFE standards is MUCH easier than educating the public. Especially when Congress critters and local representatives want to cut government funding to schools. Don't get me wrong I think the government is bloated and wastes vast amounts of money but they are needed to keep us from destroying ourselves out of sheer ignorance. If we didn't have smart educated people ruling us then we may just end up like Easter Islanders. Heck we may end up that way anyway if we keep up the political wars. :D

1 person likes this.
  13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Detroit has a long and infamous history of "supporting" something now in return for some immediate prize, only to fight later. Face it, any future repub admin that holds anywhere near current policy views will cancel this agreement as fast as Reagan took down solar from the White house.

A dictate for 15 years from now is barely a hypothetical; and if it comes to be true, would have happened anyway due to other reasons.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The reason they want to invalidate the standard is because they don't really want to build the vehicles necessary to comply. GM could have sold EV's but they chose not to. Toyota could have continued but they didn't. The Detroit 3 could have built their Supercars but chose not to. Same song, different verse.

16. metro-mike

metro-mike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Raise the fuel tax on gas to a more realistic price, the price that it cost our enviroment, and people will demand more fuel efficent cars. Just ad .25 cents a gal every year until the price of gas is around $7.00 maybe $8.00, and people will change.

When I say enviroment, I don't just mean the air.

17. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    good luck with that.

remember what happen with Clinton BTU tax? Ross Perot $.50 tax on gas to payoff national debt?

It would be a common sense solution to 2 problems, but it will be a political suicide for anyone in Congress to vote for. Esp with 'publicans signing pledge not to raise any taxes.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pres. Obama announced the plan today, I do not know if this is a direct quote:

The part I have a problem with is telling people it is going to halve GHG gas from "tailpipes". Sooner or later people will figure out it will increase GHG has emissions from smoke-stacks. Might as well be up-front and admit truth.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was shocked that the EV-skeptic blogger John Petersen sees the CAFE standards as a positive development (below- see also LINK to comments and complete article). Also saw GM CEO on CNN today, and again I was shocked positively that he was very open minded and not seeming to be speaking like the Electrification Coalition. GM mentioned they are in future introducing Nat Gas/Gasoline flex fuel vehicles, which made good sense to me.

Aggressive New CAFE Standards; The IC Empire Strikes Back - Google Search

20. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there still the loophole of allowing big SUVs to sell as heavy trucks and not part of new regulations?
    And what is the cut off from light trucks to heavy (exempt) trucks?