1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5 beeps that happen at any time of the night

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Norman A. Blowers, May 10, 2015.

1. Norman A. Blowers

Norman A. Blowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2010 Model I with only 19K miles on it (purchased new). For the past year or so, at any time throughout the night it will give out 5 beeps for apparently no reason. The local Toyota service department has no idea why. I have reset the system by disconnecting the alternate battery and have used a PocketScan Plus to test the systems which shows no problems. Any ideas?

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You sleep close enough to your car to hear the beeps "at any time throughout the night " ? ;)

You have a car that is 5 maybe nearing 6 years old.
    It apparently isn't driven a lot; no big surprise there based on where you live.
    It probably is time for a new 12 V battery......and maybe consider getting a "tender" type charger too.

That may not be the problem but is something that probably should be eliminated as a cause before you look deeper.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! she's calling to you, "drive me, drive me!":love:

#3 bisco, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry to be off-topic, but: model I? Is that the base model, typically fleet sales?

Have you checked the 12 volt battery status? Still on original battery? 2010 with low miles, could be a factor.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be the 12 volt, probably should be checked anyway.
    I'd be disappointed in the Toyota service department if they had it in for those symptoms and did NOT check it themselves.

Kind of baffling.

#5 The Electric Me, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They beep three times when you close any door with the car on and the FOB not in the car. I'm not aware of any five beep warning. I wonder if the FOB is in range. Could be an issue with that (FOB battery getting low).

Otherwise, I'd check the 12V battery. Use a voltmeter on it. If the voltage stays above 11.5V when you open the drivers door it's probably ok. If it goes below that, time for a replacement.

Data Daedalus likes this.