1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5 codes help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by G0LDM@N, May 19, 2024.

1. G0LDM@N

G0LDM@N New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The year of my prius is 2008. Both check engine light and red triangle with the exclamation point are on the dash as well as a red car with an exclamation point on the screen that shows the battery information. I have a total of 5 error codes 2 repeats p0340 p0340 pending p0420 p0420 pending and p0011. I've had p0340 for a bit and I know I need to get an aftermarket cat but the p0420 and p0011 are new. Are they causing the red exclamation marks on the dash and on the screen that shows the battery information? From what I've read I need to install a new camshaft position sensor on the engine to fix p0420 and i'm assuming that will fix p0011 correct? What tools will I need?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What type of device/software is reading error codes... Assuming your code reading gear is sufficient then:

The P0420 is indicative of catalytic converter or its sensor having a problem...

The P0320 is Camshaft position sensor... So first you'll want to inspect the plug and the wires for that sensor. After that if you have a working Prius you could swap sensors to check if that fixes it or get a used one at the junk yard or buy a new one.

I wouldn't worry about P0011 yet, because it will likely go away once P0320 is fixed. Possibly same with P0420.

Any other symptoms? How is MPG?

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You need a more capable scantool. The codes listed are all for the ECM (engine computer). The master warning light (red triangle) usually turns on when there are codes in the hybrid vehicle control ecu or HV battery ecu.

Here is a thread that reviews several scantool apps and devices. Some are capable of scanning codes and data from all systems on a Gen2 Prius.

P0420 is low catalyst efficiency (could be the converter itself, or an Air Fuel or O2 sensor, or an exhaust leak near either). If the engine burns lots of oil, that will "kill" a cat fairly quickly.

P0340 is the camshaft position sensor signal. That could be the sensor, the wiring for it, or a mechanical fault with the camshaft / timing chain "system". (the service manual says you must remove the inverter assembly in order to replace the sensor, I would want "proof" that it's bad before replacing it).

The cam sensor can't have completely failed, as the ECM would have to guess as to where the cam position is every time it wanted to run the engine. The ECM would get it wrong sometimes. That would result in the engine not starting and running.

P0011 is the ECM saying that the camshaft to crankshaft position correlation is incorrect. Often on this car that's the result of the VVT oil control valve getting stuck. Or a timing chain problem.

All this plus whatever the RToD fault is.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Brian1954 likes this.
  4. G0LDM@N

G0LDM@N New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't driven it very far yet I scanned it with the
    Hyper Tough HT100 Code Reader, 1996 & Newer OBD2 Vehicles, Free Fix & Part Recommendations

5. G0LDM@N

G0LDM@N New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I scanned it using the
    Hyper Tough HT100 Code Reader, 1996 & Newer OBD2 Vehicles, Free Fix & Part Recommendations
    I don't see any battery related codes also I'm posting the images of the dash

Attached Files:

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Plan to buy one of these: Panlong OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth OBDII Diagnostic Tool Car Code Reader Turn Off... | eBay so you can keep it in your glove box. It will allow you to connect your phone to the car's diagnostic system and use apps like Dr. Prius, Car Scanner (ELM), Hybrid Assisstannt, etc.. Could one day mean the difference between making it to your destination on time vs. waiting for a tow truck.

For the moment, we're suspicious of the accuracy of current device because they often don't contain hybrid specific error code libraries...

In the meantime you can disconnect your 12v battery for a few minutes and see how long it takes your car to notice those error codes again.

7. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III