1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5 Star Shine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MadHungarian, Jul 2, 2006.

1. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The following is excerpted from an ad I noticed on the PriusChat form (I'm not assaociated with this product):

"5 STAR SHINE's main ingredient, PTFE, is one of the most protective coatings known to man. This material protects against all types of chemical attacks (acids, insects, pollution) on your paint and even repels most dirt from sticking to the paint so your vehicle stays incredibly clean between washings. If you have a fast Internet connection, make sure you check out Video #2 (below picture of our bottle), that shows how our PTFE protection is so slick that not even water can stick to it! When washing is needed you can simply rinse dirt away with a hose! Nothing is easier! Nothing protects as well! Nothing lasts longer and shines more!"

You all know what is said about things that sound too good to be true. Has anyone had any experience with this product? Your input would be helpful.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I guess my only observation would be that water isn't supposed to be "sticky."

I use Zaino, and have been really pleased with the results. The water beads and slides off the surface, and the car doesn't accumulate dirt as fast as before. And of course, there's that Zaino Shine™... :)

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I second that. I had my Zaino on for almost 4 months and I just washed my car today. The water still beads off. I plan to add more layers later today.

Dennis

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    PTFE is PolyTetraFluoroEthylene, which is best known by the DuPont trademark Teflon. It is used in all sorts of protective coatings, including bathroom cleaner. It works well on cars, but only as long as it stays on the car. The PTFE does not bond to your car's finish, as it would need to be baked on, but is held in place with a binder. It washes off when the binder lets go.

Tom

5. unruhly

unruhly New Member

I saw a display of this stuff at a car dealer where it said "Spary paint will just wipe right off." on the backboard. A motorcycle helmet had been treated on one side and not on the other. When I walked up, there was already paint on the helmet and I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed. All to no avail. That paint was not going to come off. I'd say "Myth Busted!" :lol:
    I even scraped at it with my fingernail and still had a hard time getting it to come off. Both sides were the same.

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Jul 2 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]280247[/snapback]</div>
    Spray paint will wipe right off your car's clearcoat with the use of a simple clay bar. Been there, done that. I suspect it wiped off the helmet on the side with the coating when it was fresh and new, but as the solvent worked its way through the PTFE and binder qbee42 mentioned, it became one with the plastic of the helmet.