1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5 years of waiting but I finally took the plunge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wxboy61, Feb 8, 2011.

1. wxboy61

wxboy61 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been researching and wanting a Prius for about 5 years and I'll finally be an owner this Friday. We picked out the car yesterday but it's going to be a long week waiting to pick it up.

In the time I've been waiting to buy a Prius I did manage to talk 2 co-workers into buying one for themselves.

It's a blizzard pearl package IV with solar roof. I started out looking for a II but went for the IV.

I ordered a scanguage today also.

I know this isn't exciting information to everyone but I just had to share my joy.

By the way it is a 2010

2. newtoprius2010

newtoprius2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :welcome:I have the exact same car :) but the 2010 model.

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats--enjoy.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow...and I thought I was dragging my feet...

Congratulations you are truly an inspiration to those who have yet to plunge...

5. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congrats!!
    ...and Enjoy!!

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I cannot recall how long I waited, but I think you beat me! Congrats and welcome to PC.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. Be sure to read the owner's manual all the way through.

8. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great decision. Barcelona Red was the only other thing you could have done to make your decision perfect! Enjoy the technology, MPGs and keep a big smile while driving.

9. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It took us 5 hours. We needed to get a car before Cash For Clunkers (C4C) ended and it had to be a hybrid. On a Sunday we went to the closest Toyota dealer looking for a new Camry hybrid, none and none arriving before C4C ended. I called another local dealer the next morning and the sales guy said there would be NO chance of finding a Camry hybrid. He said he might have one Prius left if it had not been sold the night before. I told him I hadn't even thought about a Prius. He said it was a great car and he was on his 2nd one. He called me back a few minutes later and said it was still available. I put $500 on a credit card to hold it and called my wife to see when she could meet me there. We met there early that afternoon and after a short test drive she agreed it was acceptable. We did the paperwork, turned over our '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee clunker, and drove the Prius home. As luck would have it, it was a Barcelona Red IV with Nav!

10. basicallyevolve

basicallyevolve New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

I will soon be making the plunge as well :p. Quick question to the OP or anyone who got the new prius recently :p.

I am going into the market in 1-2 months and want to make sure it is the right car for me ( i will rent one for a weekend when the time nears). I just sold my 2003 BMW M5 and wanted to know how the road noise was?

DO you find the road noise acceptable ?

Is the ride comfortable so far?

How do you like the interior? any noises? rattling ? Are you a happy buyer =0) ?

I just want to make sure i get my monies worth as well because the lexus is a few grand more and might offer a better quality for the interior and more comfortable ride/

Gimme some feedback when you drive it around a bit please =)

11. amorris

amorris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    General feedback: Near 50mpg -- love the car.

12. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my 2010 II about 3 weeks ago, and am very pleased with it. It's certainly no louder than the RAV4 I traded in for it in terms of road noise. I've been getting 45.7 MPG calculated so far with a brand new engine and in the dead of winter. I think it feels like a quite larger car than it is ... it certainly feels more substantial than my wife's 05 Corolla. It holds cruise control rock solid on the highway like it's nailed there, which I really like.

I have no issues, no squeaks, no rattles, and no problems so far in about 1300 miles. Knock on wood.

And yeah ... you'll notice a difference between your M5 and ANY Prius .... about $40K+ worth. As I said in another post ... no matter what package you get, or how much you pay .... a Prius is still a $20K car ... a really, really, GREAT, $20K car.

Oops .... sorry ... the M5 wasn't yours ... it was a subsequent poster's ride. :D

REV

13. Ricklin11

Ricklin11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Traded my GS Lexus in on the Gen 2 Prius, was not even considering a Prius when I went to the dealer. Just shows that my wife is smarter than I am, she liked the Prius. I had to be convinced:)
    I'm on my 2nd one now, when my Gen 2 was totaled I considered other cars, nothing beats the Prius, not even a contest. Love my Gen 3 V yes it has all the toys, and it was too expensive. Still a very happy camper. Neither my Gen 2 or Gen 3 has exhibited any defects. I have been putting 1 K miles per week on the Gen 3, it's towed behind my 30K Lb. motor coach quite a sight. 10 MPG for the coach at 30 K lbs. 50 MPG for the Prius at 3K lbs. Which is the most efficent? Depends on how you view efficiency. You can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house:) I can indeed drive my house.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Compared my 2010 Prius to my buddy's M5 (02 or 03) IMHO:
    • Road noise: a bit more
    • Ride: fine
    • Space: at least as good
    • Interior: Much less luxurious but comfort is fine back and front
    Also
    • Tire replacement: much less expensive
    • Brake replacement: much less expensive and much longer life
    • Service generally: much less expensive
    • Gas: much less
    • Power: Somewhat less :D

16. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We like our Prius well enough, drives fine, rides fine, plenty quiet...and 50 mpg. But if there had been a Prius equivalent in Lexus trim I would rather have that. Wish the Prius had power/memory seats, mirrors, and steering wheel like our RX400h. A HS250h Premium will be $10k more than a Prius IV or V. Not sure when the CT250h is supposed to be out.

17. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ditto all above feedback in general, it's a good car.

But all your queries kind of point more toward Lexii attributes if you don't mind spending the extra. They pretty much guarantee to meet all your criteria. The Prius, well, best do that test drive for sure, as opinions vary on noise, ride, etc.

You didn't mention gas savings interest, unless that's implied. If you're not that interested or want the entertainment/fun of driving a different kind of car........ES350. :p

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't the IS be a better fit (specifically the IS350) than the ES350?

19. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably you're right. But when I picture owning a Lexus, I think of riding in a silent cushy leather wafting floating pillow with Mantovani playing in the background.....if I were 30 years younger not so much....zippyness would rule.